1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible Warranty Voiding

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hycamguy07, Feb 24, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I spoke to my dealership on monday, regarding aftermarket modifications to the EV side of my new car. I was told that any modifications to the engine, computer or EV side to the car would void the vehicle warranty and if anything happens wether directly or indirectly after the modification has been made. I could/would be left paying the full amount of the bill.

I just thought I would pass this info out to those who may not have heard it before.
    And to think is the Modification worth it to VOID the warranty, even if the car still has years left on the warranty? :unsure:

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh bah. they'll tell you that to keep you out of your car's guts.

if you had the chance to talk to a regional rep, their story is a little different.

edited to add: presuming you're talking about adding an EV switch, that is...

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A friend of mine joked that when I opened the hood for the first time he was expecting a huge sticker saying, "NO!" :p

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, with all that plastic in the way, opening the hood almost
    tries to say "really, nothing to see here"...
    What did you want to mod in the EV side, other than the usual?
    _H*

5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

:lol: I bet they will tell you that adding aftermarket alarm and/or stereo voids their warranty too.

Remember, they will have to prove that your aftermarket equipment caused the damage. For some of the EV switch installs, they are from Toyota (Japan)... what aftermarket? :unsure:

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's actually a warning on the Toyota web site which seems pretty clearly to say that turning the Prius into a plug-in hybrid voids the warranty. Your dealership may be reading more in to that than is there.

That said, each dealership will make its own decisions regarding warranty coverage. If they refuse, you could go to another dealership for service, or you could contest their decision in court.

It would be EXTREMELY hard for them to argue that implementing a function WHICH IS ALREADY BUILT INTO THE CAR by simply adding the switch that is left out of the North American version of the car, is really a modification of the system.

If you install the EV switch you are not really modifying "the EV side" of the car. What you are really modifying is the user interface, to give you access to a function Toyota put in the car, and then decided to deny to one geographical area.

However, making the Prius into a plug-in hybrid definitely would void the warranty. Thus, CalCars and HyMotion are both doing mods that leave you without warranty coverage. But even that would only apply to service issues that could be reasonably connected to the mod. I.e., if you get the HyMotion mod and then an axel bearing goes out, they'd have to repair it regardless of what your dealership said.

7. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    IMHO, a switch that would prevent the ICE from running at all (unless the switch was thrown back) would modify "the EV side" of the car.

8. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

So far, there is no such switch. The EV-Mode button does not prevent the ICE from running at all... the computer decides when the ICE is necessary or the battery is depleted and automatically drops out of EV-Mode.

The fact that there is a computer with sophisticated software in between the switch and the drivetrain makes for a really complex question of what is and is not a "modification".

Toyota would have a stronger argument in favor of voiding the warranty if they didn't offer EV-mode in other parts of the world as a consumer feature. If the software was dormant and not offered anywhere, they could claim that there was a good reason not to have a switch that enabled it. But now they are in a position of having to explain why it is not a warranty-violating thing in Country A but absolutely violates the warranty in Country B.

- Bob R.

9. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Exactly!! I merely wanted to mention something that would mess the car up.

10. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

It's the same as saying Regions that don't get leather interior will void their warranty if they add it. Even though other regions have it.

(Well, sorta) :lol:

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What did your regional rep say about it?

12. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All,

The MSRP was set based on cost analysis of repair within warranty period. The use of EV switch (even though allowed in other countries) was not factored into the cost computation of MRSP price in US. Even though the Prius computers still control the range of battery charge (upper and lower bounds), however, doesn't the use of EV switch does increase the charge/discharge frequency, therefore shorten battery life span? If so, Toyota would have a point against such modification. Don't you think? :)

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It would be a good trick for Toyota to successfully claim any extra workout the battery gets HERE from EV mode is bad, while the same extra work where EV is standard is just part of the way the car works.

If you track down the name of a Japanese engineer in charge of knowing how EV works, and get him/her to testify that only in certain geographic areas like the US does EV mode constitute harm to the car, then I'd say the warranty is in trouble.

Still waiting for the first lawsuit over such a warranty issue to see what story does come out...

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you install the EV switch you are not really modifying "the EV side" of the car. What you are really modifying is the user interface, to give you access to a function Toyota put in the car, and then decided to deny to one geographical area.

However, making the Prius into a plug-in hybrid definitely would void the warranty. Thus, CalCars and HyMotion are both doing mods that leave you without warranty coverage. But even that would only apply to service issues that could be reasonably connected to the mod. I.e., if you get the HyMotion mod and then an axel bearing goes out, they'd have to repair it regardless of what your dealership said.

There's actually a warning on the Toyota web site which seems pretty clearly to say that turning the Prius into a plug-in hybrid voids the warranty.

That said, each dealership will make its own decisions regarding warranty coverage?. The warranty is covered nationwide by toyota corp?..,
    If they refuse, you could go to another dealership for service, or you could contest their decision in court. I would think it would be hard to contest if its posted on the web site and I'm shure in the fine print, again I guess you would just have to take your chances ...

Alarms, Stereos & K & N air filters where ont mentioned,
    (Only EV, Computer & Eng. Mods where stated) the dealer service mgr. did state if the warranty was voided it would be entered into the toyota system under the vin number that they check nationwide when doing warranty repairs.. Once again I guess you' just have to take your chances. If its true shame on you $$, if its not true shame on the dealer..

It would be EXTREMELY hard for them to argue that implementing a function WHICH IS ALREADY BUILT INTO THE CAR by simply adding the switch that is left out of the North American version of the car, is really a modification of the system.Per the toyota website making this function operable will void the warranty in the us.

15. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Link, please?

16. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  17. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you.

Interesting, so use of the ICE is not counterproductive for air quality. Okay.

Well, it's not something I plan to use a lot. Mainly to move it a short distance, not on a daily use. To be honest I was against the EV mod for some time. It's only recently that I found uses for it.

18. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think they are putting the world on notice not to use either the PHEV or EV switch mods. Are they bluffing? Why would they do that?

19. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Why do they make you press "I Agree" every time you first use the map during a power up? I can see if a battery is abused they shouldn't be compelled to drop in a new one. What tipped the scales for me was the fact that the EV will not operate if the conditions aren't met.

This is probably one of those "Agree to Disagree" situations.

20. jeneric

jeneric New Member

To me "to be a plug-in Hybrid and run on electric mode only" sounds A LOT different than the EV mod. Notice the "and," not "or." Even EV mode is much different from electric mode only.