1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Post 12volt battery duct sniffing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ryanpl, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, I went and replaced the 12volt on my 2004 Prius with an Optima brand battery. My wife took the car out last night after battery was installed and commented that she and her friend smelled something odd in the car last night. She described it as a new car smell which is very odd since our car is a 2004 :). They went and sniffed the fan duct by the right rear passanger seat and sure enough that was where the smell was coming from. Did anyone else who changed their battery have that smell? If you did did the smell go away after a while? I'm wondering if it is because the 12volt is being broken in but until this car I've never been a DIY guy so IDK. Help, Ryan

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there a vent out of this battery that should be vented out of the trunk. You should smell nothing from that area as it is the suction end of the vent, at least I would hope not? H

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Its probably just the Optima smell getting into the hybrid fan ducting. Open the boot battery compartment back up and see if its the exact same smell.