1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

post 5000 mile service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by meshell, Mar 6, 2007.

1. meshell

meshell New Member

ok...so i will probably be either ignored or snubbed for asking but i can resist no longer. i got my 5000 mile service 1 1/2 weeks ago and ever since i think my gas mileage has gone down. is there something that they do or tweak that could make this happen? :huh:

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Neither ignored nor snubbed, though, IMHO, your avatar is rather revolting...

A couple of things could have happened.

If they put in too much oil, that can sometimes cause problems. It's easy to check, the level is optimally at to just below the Full mark. If it's 1/8" (3mm) over, that's still OK. If it's 1/4" (6.5mm) over, the engine could be sucking oil. It won't actually damage anything, but it might throw a few Check Engine codes while it reduces your MPG.

If they disconnected the 12V battery for any reason, that can make the computer forget your driving technique. It learns to optimize for your driving, so it may have to re-learn if it was powered off.

If the oil is way high, get them to take some out, maybe they will learn to not overfill. If the oil is OK, see how your MPG is after a couple of tanks of gas. We watch our cars so closely, a little change may seem like a big shift, something you'd never notice on a Hummer.

Also, check your tire pressure. That is an easy screw up that is also easily corrected.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, check the tire pressure especially. I run mine at 42f/40r and have not yet had it set properly at the dealer even when they took it back to get it right after I found it off. But low tire pressure would be #1 likely cause and oil level too high #2. Finally, you didn't say how far you've driven since that service or if the weather has been colder or anything. It's unlikely they've done anything serious to your car and I suspect things will correct on their own once you've assured proper tire pressure and oil level.

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 6 2007, 05:36 AM) [snapback]400808[/snapback]</div>
    You beat me to it Evan. I haven't actually requested the dealer to set my tire pressure higher, but they said it should be down at (37/35 or was it 35/33). In any case if you don't say anything to them, if you have your pressure set higher they will lower it.

Dave M.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :huh: Quote Bill: "...your avatar is rather revolting..."

I agree with Bill... my solution to such is to utilize the "IGNORE" function available in PriusChat. :p :mellow:
    I suppose some forum members thing it's 'cute,' but to me it is reminscent of a child seeking attention.

As for the query... Previous posts are 'on target.' Sounds like tire pressure has been restored to "Toyota recommended."

6. D1CK1E

D1CK1E New Member

His avatar is fine. If that very mild animation bothers you.. how do you make it through every day life?

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi D1CK1E

Thanks for asking. I make it 'through life' very well. I'm grateful for the "Ignore" feature on PriusChat.

8. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The ignore feature doesn't block avatars, as far as I remember... but I think that avatar is fine... a little amusing even. That character is thoroughly enjoying a nice glass of chocolate milk... Or he's drinking the excess oil put into his car by the service technician. :)

9. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 6 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]400755[/snapback]</div>
    The avatar you're talking about is called "Cheese" and he likes:"chocolate miiilk". It is a character from the cartoon series Fosters' Home for Imaginary Friends. :D Please don't ask me how I know that.