1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Post body shop repair question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 9511234, Feb 18, 2016.

1. 9511234

9511234 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I hit a raccoon with my 2011 Prius One. $2,300 repair bill later (condenser and radiator) I have a question about the repairs.

I was walking up to it and I thought the front wind block/condenser rock protector was sitting a little low.

I took a picture and I honestly never looked closely at it before hand. I don't know how it's supposed to fit together.

I don't know if a couple hundreds of miles of wind resistance will start ripping it apart if it drags more than it should.

Attached Files:

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Either that panel isn't attached properly or the repair wasn't done properly. I would not have accepted delivery.

3. 9511234

9511234 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    True.

I probably shouldn't have. I just don't want to give it back to them if they couldn't do it right the first time. I was hoping to see if anyone could post pics of what the panel is supposed to look like. I haven't had my car in two weeks and was just happy to be driving again.

The good thing is that the body shop I did it through with my insurance has a lifetime warranty on the repairs... so if it takes a lifetime they will get it right. I attached some pictures of the damage.

Attached Files:

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That first picture with the sagging panel could be due to a bolt/fastener that hasn't been tightened all the way down.

If you own a socket set, try tightening the 10 mm bolt. If you don't own a metric set, you can probably get by with a 3/8 inch socket.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah see what's going on behind the panel, with a trouble light or flashlight of some sort. It shouldn't be hanging down like that. If it's an easy fix I would deal with it yourself, as you say, not good that they dubbed that done, and they might screw up more. I've seen bolts (likely put on with a power tool) with their heads spun off, can be very frustrating working with shops.

Addendum:

Ours just rolled in, so I had a look:

Completely flush, there's a nylon grommet in the bumper cover, that that bolt screws into. Something is wrong there. Try backing out the screw (10 mm socket or screw driver), check that the grommet is there and ok, and then screw it back in.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  6. 9511234

9511234 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I took it by today and they looked at it and said it was a fit piece and that there wasn't any adjustment to it.

He said there was only one fastener missing, so I'm thinking the old one got a tug and its stripped a little.

iPhone ?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Took a pic of ours, for comparison. Download to your phone and show them. These guys should not get your business in future, and deserve bad reviews. :mad:

Attached Files:

8. 9511234

9511234 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I really really appreciate that.

I was going to run by Toyota and get their weigh in as well.

Mendel Leisk likes this.