1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Post-Crash Revival, Continued

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by born2pdl, Nov 2, 2010.

1. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not talking about a religious meeting after a stock market crash, though that might be a good idea.

I appreciate your patience with another one of these wreck rebuilds. This is a continuation of the 2005 prius rebuilder I recently bought, 95k miles, hit in the R/R quarter panel, curtain depoyed. Came with only a cut key, original smart keys lost long before it got to me. It apprears to be physically ready to run, 12V battery charged/ HV battery connected, fuses checked. The horn, dome lights and power locks work and the security light flashes as normal.

Took it to the stealer, service writer says the tech programmed the car to a new (dealer supplied) key successfully but the car will not respond in any way to the new smart key or fob buttons. Claims the car has a problem and will require a diagnostic session to figure it out.

Doesn't sound like successful programming to me, but I’m stuck, I can’t prove it. So I had to authorize the $180 diagnostic session with the understanding that if they find programming was not performed adequately, I will not be charged.

I’m not holding my breath, don’t trust them, their performance so far has not inspired confidence. Can anyone detail the procedure the tech should have used to program the new smart key?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that you will need to authorize the diagnostic process, which will hopefully provide you a list of DTC so that you can see what is wrong with the car besides the need to program the immobilizer and Smart ECUs to recognize a new fob.

The basic procedure follows, although I'm not sure how this will help you:

1. Use Toyota diagnostic laptop to select SMART CODE RESET
    2. Read SEED NUMBER from tester screen, input to TIS website
    3. Input PASS-CODE number TIS, verify that registered fob codes are erased from Smart ECU
    4. Insert new fob into slot to register with immobilizer ECU
    5. Select SMART CODE REG on diagnostic laptop
    6. Press lock/unlock buttons simultaneously for one second
    7. Press unlock button, listen for double-chirp from vehicle

3. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealer tech had to re-initialize each electrical system since the main fuse had been out for a long time. Maybe I could have done that myself, IDK. No help beyond that. But the glass is half full. Took it on a 10 mile drive, it behaved reasonable well, the HV battery is up to 7 or 8 bars. Dash looks like a Christmas tree with plenty of warning lights on.

For ABS, VSC, brake and airbag, I know what needs to be done. The main "system problem" light will need to be dealt with. I have a dealer tech contact 70 miles away that does work on the side at lunch time. So I'll get everything physically repaired, then take him my remaining list of warning lights and used smart key programming to finish off.

Meanwhile I can get the car around to the shops for alignment and paint. Any suggestions you all have are welcome while I'm putting this together.