1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

post oil change stalling/ no start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shepsimp, Mar 4, 2009.

1. shepsimp

shepsimp New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I recently changed oil and filter in a 2005 Prius. After a very short drive, the check engine light illumined, and the car stalled. I never was able to restart it. The oil level was perfect and there was no leakage.My scan tool was unable to interface with the Prius ECU so I couldn't retrieve any fault codes. I had the car towed to the dealer, and the vague explanation was that the inlet manifold had become oil "quenched"(?) as if I had somehow spilled oil somewhere and it got into the manifold. I did not spill any oil though, nor did I overfill. I am a professional mechanic with 35 years' experience working on imported cars, though I have little experience with the hybrids. I have no idea what I did wrong with this car, but do want to continue servicing hybrids.

Can anyone explain what may have happened?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering whether you used a pressurized pump to fill the engine oil, or if you were just adding quart bottles through a funnel. If the former, then note that a metal baffle runs along the underside of the engine valve cover. If you are pumping oil in under pressure, especially if the hose is turned so that it is pointing towards the inverter, then oil might flow along the baffle and enter the PCV hoses that are hidden under the engine wire harness (above cyl. 4).

Also note that the correct engine oil viscosity is 5W-30 and 3.7 quarts will bring you up to the top dimple.

You'll probably need an OBD-II reader compliant with the Toyota CAN to have success retrieving DTC logged by the engine ECU. However this may not retrieve DTC logged by some of the other ECUs.

If you remove the air cleaner housing cover, you can open up the throttle plate by hand (while the car is IG-OFF) and inspect the bottom of the intake manifold for oil accumulation. It is normal to at minimum see some dampness down there.

Good luck with your future hybrid work. We need more techs who care about doing a good job on those vehicles.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Follow the PCV system from the valve to the TB. If you add oil *very* quickly, say by using an automated bulk oil system, it's possible to flood the cylinder head with oil.

The excess oil can either flow into the vent system or the PCV system, then into the TB.

I'm pretty careful to *slowly* add every litre of oil, taking my time. Since I service my own equipment, I don't have to worry about shop expenses and can take my time

It's normal to see a small "puddle" of liquid in the Prius intake. It's thought this is gasoline residue due to the Atkinson Cycle operation of the motor

Excess oil will not only coat the TB, will probably get into the MAF hot wires as well. Best to just remove the TB and MAF and clean them with appropriate chemicals; eg *not* with carb cleaner or brake clean

A standard scantool can only interface with legally mandated OBDII codes. To get into the Prius specifics you will require a Toyota scantool

I suggest you subscribe to either All Data or Toyota TechInfo. All the current shop manuals online, including TSB's

As a heads up, never *ever* attempt to bleed the brakes on a Prius without use of the Toyota scantool.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-t...em-rear-brakes-no-pressure-when-bleeding.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachm...n-bleeding-prius-brake-bleeding-procedure.pdf

Hope this helps. Sorry I had to report bad news

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As usual, Patrick beat me to it, by mere moments

5. shepsimp

shepsimp New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks very much, Patrick. You've given me some good suggestions. I did not use a pressurized oil fill with this car, but I will fill more slowly in future and also take care not to overfill.

I also wonder something else: I see that many DIY's on this forum are concerned about getting the correct oil level and the process of filling the oil filter. It may be easier to obtain the right level and I know it's safer, to "prefill" the oil filter before it's installed, thereby minimizing the time the engine runs without oil pressure, plus I think it's easier on the filter element to already be wetted with oil rather than withstanding the rush of oil under pressure at the initial start up after servicing. I may be "over-worrying" this issue, but it's something I was taught years ago when I worked as an aircraft mechanic...

John

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi John,

You are right regarding filling the oil filter prior to installation. I also follow this practice, filling the filter 2/3 full prior to installing it. Otherwise, the engine will make funny noises for a few seconds until the lubrication system pressurizes.

I've attached a few photos of the valve cover so you can see the metal baffle mounted to the interior. The second photo shows the corner of the baffle that covers the oil filler opening.

Attached Files:

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John

So, did you ever get to the bottom of how/why the oil ended up in the intake?

I put the oil filter on dry, no issues yet. I slowly add 3 litres of oil. Go into driver seat, right foot on brake pedal, press the start button.

As the motor is unlikely to start if it's still warm, simply floor and release the gas pedal. This tells the ECU to start the gas motor. I let it run until it automatically stops again, then power down

Typically, 3 litres will put the oil level about 2/3 up between the two dots. If I want it right on the top dot, adding another 300-330 ml does it

jay

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of course, on my FJ it would be impossible to prefill the oil filter. Not even willing to chance the gawd awful mess to try