1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Post recall Prius regen braking still doing a remarkable job.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jon Hagen, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There have been comments / worries that the latest recall took away some of the Prius acceleration and regen braking power. I did not notice any difference, but I did not comment, as my Prius went directly from a 3 month winter layover to doing the recall, I thought I might not have noticed the change because of several months of not driving the car.

Today we were running down I 94 at 75 mph and took the Sterling exit. We were in traffic and had to maintain 75 until we entered the exit. This is a tight, short exit that requires hard use of the brakes to go from 75 to 25 to 0 in that short distance, nearly as much as you can use and still maintain good control of the car.
    This hard stop made me think of the regen VS friction brake balance, so I told brother to stop off the highway as soon as possible . I wanted to touch the brake rotors to judge their temperature as an indication of how hard this stop worked the friction brakes..
    I seem to remember that regen braking ends when speed gets below 10-5 mph ? so a little heat from that would be normal in two stops in only about 30 seconds..
    I was plesently supprised to find the rear rotors cool to the touch and the fronts only slightly warm, maybe 100 degrees F. (outside air temp 66 F)
    With almost total lack of brake heat, I suspect that regen braking still did 90+ % during this hard stop.

I once again expect 1,00,ooo + plus miles out of the original brake pads.
    The car still easily runs up to the indicated 115 mph, so if the recall degraded the Prius performance at all, I really cant detect it. Me happy :)

#1 Jon Hagen, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014