1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Post Rita - damages and emergency uses

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by IALTMANN, Oct 15, 2005.

1. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Well here is a post storm report: (Feel free to suggest any remedies and suggestions, God knows I need it right now.

GOOD THINGS:
    1) Well 16 solid hours of stop and go, with AC in the 95-100's, CAT on board and pure hell stop and go, went about 30 miles maybe. No problems, no failures, no over-heating, and did not run out of gas!
    2) GAS...what a blessing to have a car that could go 400+ miles! The basic performance for the entire tank, with the 16+ hrs of stop and go was 37.8 MPG as best as I can figure out. Made some fill up with low gallons because GAS was such a precious commodity.
    3) Did I say I did not run out of gas ?
    4) Did patrolling to catch looters (stopped a few before they could do it!), 4 days about 3 hrs each day, some stop and go and chasing, lots of dark streets with trees, debris and dark dangers, no street or house lights at all, no power, it was very dark and dangerous (from down power lines and objects in way of streets and houses.

BAD THINGS:
    1) The car got trashed, interiors took a beating
    2) Some spotting on the fabrics
    3) One tire with a cut or foreign object damage
    4) Minor scratches on the car from tree branches
    5) Hard dry bugs all over the front of the car

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad to hear from you again, IALTMANN, hope things are on the up and up for you and the family.

Some suggestions for the bad things:
    1. The plastic on the sides of the doors can be cleaned quite nicely with Mr Clean Orange Power cleaner and a rag, I get hubby's car-grease kick marks off our tan interior very easily that way.

2. Depending on what the spots are, some mild soap and a good thorough scrubbing should take care of those spots. Otherwise, seat covers?

3. Remember there's a road hazard warranty. Get reimbursed for your tire replacement if you haven't started the process already.

4. Scratches are tough. I'm no expert on that so I'll leave that to someone else.

5. Lots of bug removal products at places like Wal Mart or Target. Then give it a good wax to restore it to its original beauty.

So glad to hear the car served you so well and was able to keep you out of danger! I guess that's just one more reason the Prius is a smart decision :)

Please keep us updated on how things are going and best wishes to you!

3. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Thank you so much for the input and concerns and wishes., everything is settling down. I finally get to see my students, and school Monday, that will help. My home is a mess, the car is a mess, and the cat is fine! Will try the cleaning real soon, and go to the dealer monday to get the tire replaced., don't think it can be saved. I plan to unload everything out, and get the orange cleaners and the likes and clean the plastics, and will also give it a go with the fabrics. I had one cover on the driver's., but the right seat and the back seat on one side took some stains too, so I will clean them. Plan to vaccum and wash and wax the car real soon, as soon as the rest of the work for the house is in hand. Right now gotta to complete cutting and remove all tree branches and trees out of my yard to the curb for the "FEMA" one time pick up deadline (Monday!). So out comes the chain saw tomorrow for another go..Got over 50 ft of broken fencing, 6 posts, and a big carport to rebuild., everything else is done or lined up for the "pro's". So we're ok and the car is next on the list. Thanks for the help and suggestions, and I was really proud, as I passed up one dead car after another on the infamous I-45, at one point was stopped by a National Guard road block, and was asked if I needed "FREE" FEMA gas, they were giving 5 gallons to all cars that needed gas to prevent them from running out, and congesting the interstate. I turned the Guard down, and told them to give it to the others that needed it, Prius could still go 200 + miles and did not need fuel at that point, unlike the other guzzlers! The car was tested big time, and just kept on ticking, I had stops over 30 minutes with the AC on (had to have it, temp was 102 deg., and 100% humidity), the car just kept running and cool, never lost battery power and never got over heated, we did that gig on and off for 16 hrs steady, and also had another 8 hrs where we moved a little faster ~~~30's to 60's!! Total time was 24 hrs on the road for about 240 miles, car had about 40 miles on the tank, and at about 380 miles filled up and calculated mileage at 37.8 mpg!! Toyota should be proud, I certainly was, my wife's saturn did not fare so well, she had to drive it without AC at times, to prevent overheating, and I had to make an emergency mid-night run of 38 miles to get her some gas in 5 gal cans, the lateness to avoid lines, and I used the Prius for that!! This was to refill her car to a point where she could drive for gas, she was "sucking fumes" and I still had a little less then 1/2 a tank!

4. electronics_scrounger

If you can find it, try a cleaner called Folex for the upholstery, hardware stores tend to have it, it's recommended for indoor carpets and cleaning spots off of your couch etc and it's GOOD stuff.

Nevr-dull, a BRASS polish of all things, is great for rubbing out scuffs on the paint, go ahead and laugh, but then try it, you'll find it works great. Just a super all-purpose degunker.

5. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

thanks Electronics Scrounger....:))

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IALTMANN, You should send your story via email to Toyota, makes a great testimony for the Prius and who knows maybe they'll hook you up with a Toyota dealer with a body shop to get your scratches fixed. It worth a shot lol