1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Post-sale dealer support

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by LeadingEdgeBoomer, Oct 29, 2010.

1. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I recently found an email from my local Toyota dealer, in my Junk folder, about the one-year anniversary of my Prius purchase. They asked for a response, so this is what I sent:
    ---------------
    I found Beaver Toyota's email about owning my Prius for a year in my Junk folder, but I thought I would respond. Perhaps the management will read this.

The Good
    * Prompt fixing of software on the ABS recall, and service tech did a fine job at fixing a rattle at that visit.
    * Good service at replacing nav/radio unit because of a substandard FM tuner, according to a recent T-SB.

The Bad
    * Just spent way too much money for 10K/1 year service (oil change, tire rotate, look at stuff) at 8K miles. Will have to go elsewhere for those. Also, you left a windshield reminder to change oil again in 3 months! At my current rate, the car will have about 2K miles on it at that time. Get real, the oil change interval is 10K miles or 1 year. I understand that a lot of revenue comes from the service department (I have relatives in the business), but your profit does not motivate me. I just paid $36 for synthetic oil and filter at an independent garage for my other car, and they even go the extra mile, like topping up the windshield washer fluid.

The Ugly
    * Bombardment with content-free email and robo-calls from Beaver Toyota. My spam filter works well, and I hang up on Beaver Toyota when I hear a recording. Please contact me only when you have something to say.

The Weird
    * Can I get a full-size cardboard Linda Beaver, as seen in your showroom, LOL? Just kidding.

But anyway, the 2010 Prius is a great car.
    ---------------

Consensus seems to be that independent garages can do such warranty service cheaper and still not void the warranty, and people avoid dealer service departments when they can.

Yeah, I know about the 5K OCI for short trips and dirty environments. Not what this is about.

I'd be interested in comments about Toyota service departments, esp. for Prius.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Each dealer and owner will be different, so I am not sure how generally useful this thread will be.

I get an oil change about every 2 months, 5,000 miles seems to fly by. I have business cards from my salesman, in case I wish to refer folks. He seeks me out when I am in getting an oil change/tire rotation for $46, I suspect Service calls him.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All dealers are scumbags. The all play these foolish games.

Using the lawer joke. 99% of the bad dealers make the other 1% look bad.

4. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And all people who live in Cleveland are idiots for not getting the hell out after the river caught on fire.

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are right. In 1955 the river in Cleveland caught fire. It gave Cleveland a black eye. Cleveland has made a lot of changes for the better and now it is a nice place to live.

Back in 1955 dealers were ripping off customers and they had a horrible reputation. Yesterday Oct 29th 2010 this tread was started about the how dealers mistreat their customers.

Over the last 55 years Cleveland made changes for the better. Dealers keep sinking lower and lower. I can not think of a better word then 'scumbags'.

6. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not all dealers are bad. There are a FEW, really good ones.

7. Italex

Italex New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's why we bought the Prius. Reliability. I don't want to spend any more time at a dealer/mechanic than I have to.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha. Beaver...

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agreed.

If you accept the 1% good dealer number (I do, I'm an optimist) that means there are 14 good Toyota dealers in the US:(

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :rolleyes:

My Toyota dealer, Fitzgerald Toyota in Gaithersburg, MD is great, reasonably priced, friendly, honest, willing to match other local dealer's pricing. I've used a few others in the area, Jim Coleman in Bethesda, 355 Toyota in Rockville that weren't great. Not bad, just not great.

I also have a great independent mechanic in Rockville that I primarily use for our vehicles, he was a Lexus master tech for 16 years and opened his own shop a few years ago. PM me if you want his info.

How much did you spend, just out of curiosity?

11. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yup. Linda Beaver and her husband own the Toyota dealership here, and others elsewhere. They live in Florida, and she comes to NM to do TV commercials for the sales department.

12. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow,
    I know that I'd never chose selling cars as a second career but, my dealer in Green Bay, WI - Lemieux and Son have an excellent reputation and I would have to say that nearly 18 months into my 2010 III that I have no complaints.
    Even their building indicates they make darned good money, but I've been treated very well and the prices seem very competitive. Around 60 bucks a service and I'm sticking to 5K because if all goes well I'll keep the Prius till I can purchase a long range electric vehicle.

13. harry r

harry r slowly turning green

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Post dealer support. ha ha I am just trying to get pre-sales support. newbie here just trying to buy our first Prius, 2010 version III but the local dealers are all clowns. yesterday was ready to buy one at the local dealer with the best rep, but the salesmen did not even have the time to show me the car, just handed me the keys and said its over there see ya in a bit... the price is great but with tis kinda sales i gotta wonder how the service will be.

this will be our first hybrid, so kinda nervous on a unique car.

Love this forum, hope to learn a lot.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it's usually great pre sales attention and poor post sales. you just might have a winner there!:D

15. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    PriusChat was essential to me before I ordered up a 2010 Prius. I knew so much more than my sales droid because of this site, I corrected him repeatedly. Read, and read, especially the newbie forum, ask questions you may think are dumb, and ignore responders who belittle you.

16. harry r

harry r slowly turning green

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    tks leading, tomorrow will be interesting as i had sent an e-mail to their sales manager. will be interesting to see if he is snotty or groveling...lol
    love the car and the concept, hope to gt one and have the success you all have.
    lets see if we can get this deal done for what they promised.

17. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah sure! I went to school with her sister, Sharon. My Toyota dealership has been wonderful from beginning to now. I can't say enough good about Allen in Sales and Dave, Jr. in Service. Their attention would be reason enough to buy another vehicle from Libertyville Toyota.