1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Post your MPG tips & tricks here

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Jackolebean, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Jackolebean

Jackolebean New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everybody. What I would like is everybody to list a couple of their best MPG tips. Right now I have a 2015 Prius Two with 31k miles.

#1 I use mid grade gas and always put a little bit of STP or Gumout fuel injector/carburator cleaner about half a bottle per fill up. I've read that the specially designed solvent reduces surface tension of the gas and makes it spray into smaller particles in the engine what causes it to combust more completely getting more power out of less fuel. I have always noticed better MPG with this method and have never had any problems over 58k miles on a 2012 Honda Civic. I have always noticed the difference on each fillup. about 2-5 mpg difference if I forget to do it. There is a balance to it. If you get the ratio just right, which is hard if you are just measuring by feel(or eye if you have the clear Gumout bottle) and can do safely because you are supposed to be able to use a whole bottler each fill up but it also says it treats up to 21 gallons of gas so I split it in half for the Prius.

#2 I make sure that the heat is always as low as possible and the fan as well at a low setting.

#3 I make sure the headlights are off in the day time. A little obvious but they turn off automatically so its tempting to just leave them on all the time.

#4 I usually speed up to the speed limit at the middle of the gas bar then when I hit the speed limit(or 5-10 over if you are the entire rest of the world) I then drop down until the EV kicks on and keep it about 80-90% of the EV bar.

#5 Going 65 on the freeway will only cost you 2-4 minutes of time but will get you about 52-54 mpg. You literally have to drive 80 miles to see a difference of(not actually calculated) 5ish minutes between going 70 and going 80. All I'm saying is slow down a little bit and save some gas folks. Damn...

#6 This one is obvious but always make sure the chg bar for the breaks doesn't reach the edge till you get to about 10 mph, ideally not at all but I can't remember off hand right now if that's possible. I think it is.

#7 If I am coming to a red light or a stop sign and no body is behind me I try to coast or lightly apply the breaks so I slowly creep up to the sign and sometimes with lights I've taken long enough for the light to change and don't have to waste all the energy getting back up to speed from a full stop. Again don't try this if there are a bunch of people behind you. Most of them don't know that thing I said about the 5 minute difference between 70 and 80. Ok for the sake of science I pulled out my calculator and it's 7.5 minutes.

#8 If no one is behind you or you are turning/pulling through a slow intersection use the EV mode to accelerate to about 15 mph so the gas engine doesn't have to throw a ton of wasted energy into a stationary drivetrain. The gas engine is way more efficient when the car is moving.

That's about all I know. I think I will keep a running list on this first post of all the good tips I see on here and verify myself. Goals as of 3/26/2017 are to try overinflating from 32-37/38 although I'm curious what peoples bumpy ride experiences are with 40 and over. We have a lot of pot holes here in Michigan and I have wheel and tire insurance so I would like people's input on whether lower psi is harder on the tires than the suspension compared to high psi.

bisco likes this.
  2. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. Mid grade plus a half a bottle of stp???? Sorry, but that's a total waste of money. Say you get 10 mpg more, the juice is not worth the squeeze.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you glide, try to keep it as close as possible to the regen bar, without entering regen. gliding at 80-90% of the ev bar is using the battery too much and forcing the gas engine to recharge it.

pump your tyres up to 42f/40r.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depending on the season/climate, shutting the system right off, and cracking a window if needed, will get the car shutting down at stops faster, during the warm-up phase. As long as you've got the system running, there's a much higher probability it won't shut down. If you do have to keep it running, as you say: keeping temps low will tip it turn off more often/sooner.

Again, mainly applicable during warm-up.

5. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1) Normal mode all the time :sneaky:
    2) Regular unleaded all the time:whistle:
    3) Snow tires (and winter gas) in winter (Toyo's with walnuts in the tread -- safety first!)
    4) Accelerate into the PWR area to get up to speed, and drive reasonably with the flow of traffic :X3:
    5) Average around 68 MPH on the highway
    6) A/C all the time - at around 74 in the summer, heat around 66 in the winter. Gotta keep the battery happy.
    7) Fuelly scores over 50 MPG anyway :) :p :) :coffee:

Dyjital likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    These are mpg tips? (n)

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like you don't need any tips...you have your own routine and beliefs.

I disagree with #1.
    The Prius can run on regular grade unleaded and I always found that to be a benefit.
    If you are continually paying for mid-grade, and then adding Gum-Out?
    Well between the cost of mid-grade vs. regular and the added cost of continually buying fuel system cleaner, I think you pretty much negate any MPG savings you think you might be getting.
    And I'm dubious about the benefit.
    I myself would "ritualistically" run a treatment of techron through about once every oil change cycle...and maybe a tank of Premium just for kicks. But I would concede any benefit was/is probably more placebo affect than anything else. The rest of the time, I just filled with "regular" at Top Tier stations. My MPG with the Prius was fine.
    Not to mention the hassle of continually adding fuel cleaners.

#2. Your choice again. BUT....
    I personally think both "Heat" and "Air Conditioning" ....climate control...makes driving much more enjoyable. My philosophy has always been to use it and enjoy it. There's a point where striving for minute gains in efficiency vs. Quality of Life and Driving Environment, tips towards I want to be warm in winter and cool in summer. But if it's worth it to you? Your choice.

#3. Same problem as above. I can't believe having the lights on makes that big a difference in MPG. I think insurance companies have run studies that show DRL's reduce accidents.
    If you avoid ONE daytime accident because somebody notices you...because they see the glint of your headlights? Then running with your headlights on during the day, just saved you a vehicle lifetime of whatever MPG gains you think turning them off will create.

BUT...HUGE BUT...

These are all OUR vehicles. Whatever we are driving.
    And I think owners can adopt whatever SAFE rituals of operation they want to embrace.

But I do think sometimes people can really overthink creating extra efficiency in a Prius. It's a pretty damn efficient machine, if you just get in it, and just drive it.

bodgm, Tbkilb01, Bay Stater and 2 others like this.
  8. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Absolutely. :) Sure, there are certain driving techniques I use to enhance MPG (biggest one: don't convert energy where possible -- use pulse and glide under around 43 MPH, and avoid using "heavy EV" between the 1/4 and 1/2 way point on the HSI as it's less efficient than pulse-and-glide, and avoid unnecessary braking by planning ahead), but they pale against the general advice to drive a Prius sensibly and safely, and still reap the rewards of outstanding fuel economy.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Steves895

Steves895 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Drive downhill only!

10. Dyjital

Dyjital Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Regular gasoline only. Anything higher does NOT give more power, actually is harder to ignite and forces the car to add more timing towards TDC to fire. There is a reason they are supposed to run on 87. Premium (higher octane) is a longer hydrocarbon which means its harder to break (burn/ignite etc) in our 8:1 compression ratio (13:1 expansion).

Proper tire inflation or slightly above.

Stay in Eco when accelerating

Use power as little as possible

Don't let my wife drive it... she can driver her own.

kyoo likes this.
  11. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    87, Top Tier fuel only.
    Toss in a bottle of Techron once a year.
    Up your tire pressures to around 40 psi
    Slow down and drive the car at the speed limit and never over 65 mph.
    Plenty of really good Youtube videos on how to maximize your fuel economy while driving a Prius.

I tossed in a bottle of Techron and switched to Shell gasoline only, saw a 10% increase in my Volvo 960 and a 5% increase in the Prius on the highway after a few tanks. Not all gasoline is the same the additive packages do matter. The Techron will clean the built up crud out of the fuel system and injectors while the top tier fuel will keep the whole system cleaner as the miles add up.

Dyjital likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure if it's been noted, but avoid needing to brake, as much as possible. Not by rolling stop signs, not by tailgaiting, but by driving strategically, ie: looking ahead, anticipating slow downs, and keeping a generous buffer in front. Anytime you accelerate and then quickly need to brake, you've blown it, lol.

Doing this, you will have nutters, tailgating, then whipping past and getting in front of you. Just go with it, keep your cool: better they've got past and out of your hair.

ALS likes this.
  13. kyoo

kyoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this is exactly right - higher octane = harder to detonate. I have used a few cleaners & additives before, with little to no change in efficiency.

Dyjital likes this.
  14. PutPutMobile

PutPutMobile Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Basically, if you drive like a grandma, you'll get about 50-60 mpg. Some peeps don't care about tailgaters and pissed off road ragers:ROFLMAO:

15. Alpine Hiker

Alpine Hiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The prius owner's manual mentioned not to carry unnecessary weight in the car.