1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Potential damage in a rear end collision

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by fetzer02, Sep 15, 2012.

1. fetzer02

fetzer02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was rear ended 18 months ago and I got everything fixed. Very little visible damage. The issue is that there is so much involved in these high tech cars that lies underneath the surface. The body shop fixed the bumper and the hatch which was dented in. I thought it was all okay, then I found myself driving at night on a country road 8 months later. I couldn't see more than 4 feet in front of me. My headlights were not leveling. The next day I went to the dealer and asked them to check it out. They asked if I'd had any damage to the vehicle which I had 8 months prior. They went right to the back end and they found a damaged sensor that helps in auto leveling the headlights. The body shop missed it.

The insurance company wants to settle the claim however, I want to make sure I am aware of anything else that may be damaged because there are other sensors that could be damaged in
    a rear end collision. The headlight sensor was very expensive to fix so I was glad it went through my insurance due to the accident.

Any information on what could be damaged in a rear end collision?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not aware of other sensors that you need to be concerned about. However, if the headlight level sensor was damaged because of the accident, you might inquire about whether the rear beam suspension was damaged.

In particular, the wheel alignment should be checked. The rear suspension cannot be adjusted and if the alignment is off, the beam rear axle is supposed to be replaced.

You should also check the exhaust system to make sure that it was not damaged due to the collision (for example, if the tail pipe was struck which would bend it and other parts of the exhaust system out of alignment.)

DaveinOlyWA likes this.