1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Potential Owner Questions: Safety, Acceleration, Highway Driving

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Annie755, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Annie755

Annie755 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone! My husband and I are looking into buying Prius C Two. We have a few questions about the car and would really appreciate any of your comments.

1) We read that the "C" stands for "City". But is it still a good highway vehicle? My commute is about 2/3 highway driving with 65 mph speed-limit. What I am mostly concerned with is merging from a slow lane into fast carpool lane. Did anyone have any problems with that or with accelerating to a freeway speed?

2) Where we live it rains a lot, so I was wondering how does it do in wet conditions. Anyone had any troubles with hydroplaning?

Thank you everyone in advance.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I drive mostly highway (at least 80% by mileage) but am still doing very well with mpg. The reason I still get good mpg is because I've adjusted my driving habits. Going 65, you'll get in the low 50's mpg on average (depending on elevation change, wind conditions, temperature). If you go 55 mph or below, you can get 60 mpg and better pretty frequently.

It's just a matter of where your priorities lie and how much you're willing to adjust how you drive.

Todd Fury likes this.
  4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A lot of people are reluctant to floor a cars throttle pedal. If you plan ahead a bit and actually use all the power available, performance is more than adequate.

5. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have taken mine on two 700 mile highway trips with A/C and cruise set to 67 and averaged 53 MPG over the 1400 miles...well above EPA of 46!

-M

Todd Fury likes this.
  6. Todd Fury

Todd Fury New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    1.) As you know, the Prius C is a bit different than other hybrid cars in that it is designed to be driven in the city. When you brake/slow down, the battery charges and when you drop under a certain speed the battery comes on and the engine shuts off. If you mostly drive on the highway, you're going to get mpg around the mid-50s (which is still acceptable of course). I've started taking the back roads to work instead and I'm getting around 63-67 mpg so that's obviously the ideal way to drive the car. As far as acceleration goes, if you go to test drive one you will be surprised that the acceleration isn't as bad as you think it's going to be. When I first drove the car, I was expecting it to accelerate at the speed similar to a golf cart, but this isn't the case. When a traffic light turns green, I am often the one out in front of everyone else in the lanes next to me (not by much, and they OBVIOUSLY aren't trying to race me), so that should give you some indication of the acceleration speed. I should also add that I drive in ECO mode always, and I never put the pedal to the floor. ECO mode gives you a bit better mpg, but reduces the performance a bit. Turning ECO mode off will give you even better acceleration. Don't get me wrong though...this little car isn't going to be winning any drag races, but that's not why you're buying it, right?

2.) No problems with wet roads yet. I live in Florida and just last week it rained for 4 days because of Tropical Storm Debby. The roads were pooling pretty badly and I was going about 45-50 without any problems.

The best advice I can give you is to go drive it, and go with your gut feeling. If anything doesn't feel right to you, or if you have doubts, don't buy one. I love mine though. =)

7. Annie755

Annie755 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    THANK YOU everyone for your replies. My husband and I actually did test drive it, and the gut feeling was, "We gotta get this car." But then I got scared off by Consumer Reports review, although after I did a lot more research, I started questioning their credibility..

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    There's been a lot of discussion and err... argument about CR's review of the c. I'm guessing you've probably already seen the threads. If you're not turned off by what CR perceives as weaknesses, then go for it.

I do suggest you try the liftback (aka regular Prius) as well.

9. Annie755

Annie755 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I did read a lot of those threads. So thankful for forum like this, where you can get a feedback from Prius C owners.

10. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I am a highway commuter. 100 miles a day. I just ticked over 8000 miles in my C, and it has done very well on my commutes, even up some big hills. I'll address your concerns:

1. Merging. I don't have too much difficulty getting out. I think a bit more tactically about it, coming from a 328 hp car, but the C will get up to 65 reasonably well. Same goes for pulling out into traffic. I leave myself a large space cushion, mostly because I don't want to have to floor it.

2. Rain, not a problem. I have driven through some major downpours where people were pulling off the road. Even with the OEM Turanza tires, I have yet to lose traction in the rain.

11. Annie755

Annie755 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Crebble, thank you for your reply.

I have one more questions. What about visibility? Some people say they take back headrests out. Do you? And if so, how easy it is to take off and put back on?

Thank you in advance.

12. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I very seldom have rear-seat passengers, so I took off the headrests and put them behind the front seats.

Just hold in the height adjuster button and the headrests slide straight up and off.

13. Annie755

Annie755 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you!

14. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My C is a commuter for me. Is it a good highway vehicle- YES, no issues what so ever.
    *****************************************************************************************************

question 1- Yes the C is a fine on the highway and works great as a commuter car in my opinion. No issues with acceleration, but its a subcompact not a Porche. I suggest you test drive one and make that determination.
    Thats what my wife and I did and we found it perfect for our needs.

question 2- the Bridgestone Turanza tires (stock tires that come on most Prius C's) have horrible ratings and are loud. I just sold my Turanza tires with only 600 miles on them to my local Discount Tire store for $50.00 each or $200.00 for the set of 4. They gave me $200.00 off the set of Bridgestone Ecopia tires and installed them yesterday. These tires are rated an 8 out of a possible 10 on tire rack.com. 10 being the best. (Good tires are important to me) The new Ecopia tires are a MUCH quieter, handle better and ride MUCH better than the Turanza. They are Low Rolling Resistance rated tires specifically for hybrid cars such as the Prius C. The OEM tires Toyota puts on their new cars are a disappointment.

Suggestion- I own a level three with sunroof, leather, alloys and other options like push button start= no keys...love it! We purchased the car that my wife and I wanted. Not the one on the lot that the dealer wanted to sell us. Don't settle for less if you can afford it. Buy at least a level 3 or 4 Prius C. You will be getting some very nice extras that you will be happy you ordered and waited for. Go on line and read about the different levels and you will see what I am talking about. One of the options we wanted was a sunroof and we finally found the C that had one in the color and level we wanted. It took 4 days for it to be delivered to our dealer. For what its worth. I think you will be happy with the C. Test drive one.

Best of luck, hope this helps.

15. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, since I am solo most of the time, I take the rear head rests out and leave them in the cargo net. They only take a few seconds to remove or replace.