1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Potential Prius buyer Newbie GenI battery question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SEaton, Nov 28, 2013.

1. SEaton

SEaton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a 2002 prius with 56k on it.
    looks like a good deal, I can pick it up cheap. The kicker, it has a bad battery, I know the dealers want like 3k for one of those puppies. So expensive, but should last forever with new batteries.

So some questions come to mind. First I used to be an electronics tech in the army, so I have worked on lots of high power setups, so I am not shy of pulling the batteries out and working on them. I figured I would pull it out and test the voltage on some cells, and look, into replacing some bad cells or whatever. If 1 or 2 are bad, I figured I would pop for a couple of em and hope for the best. I am sure there are a lot of things I will need to read up on before going there, like charging and such. but saw some threads on that.

Suppose that most of the cells are bad, I have noticed there are numerous GEN II batteries for sell out there on ebay. Is it possible to buy a complete GENII and install it ? or am I stuck with refurbishing the GEN I ?

Am I totally out of my mind for buying one of these ? 4k seems reasonable for low mileage, and worst case 3k to put a battery in it, but thinking I can put in all new cells myself for around 1200 if I have to.

thoughts ? thanks so much in advance.

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    SEaton likes this.
  3. SEaton

SEaton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great thanks, that helps put my mind at ease.
    It sure seems hard to find Gen I batteries :)

only a 12month warranty. wonder how long people have been getting out of them.

4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Depends on environment and driver. 10 years is not uncommon. Some fail in a few years. You are not in the desert so batteries should last. If you garage the car should last longer

SEaton likes this.
  5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Reinvolt has a good reputation

SEaton likes this.
  6. SEaton

SEaton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw some GenII packs on ebay for around that cost, can a person put one of them in the older gen I cars ?

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes they have a network of installers and they also take the old battery away with them. It is a quick repair.

Greentec seems to have a bigger network

Is LA we have Avi garage that is an independent shop that does the work also.

Avi's Advanced Auto Homepage

I have heard of people buying salvage batteries on eBay but if they have been in the car outside they may be completely depleted which can be trouble