1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power button ring glare

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tracys, Jul 21, 2006.

1. tracys

tracys New Member

I LOVE my new Prius, we picked it up on 9 July and have been getting a very steady 51.5 mpg ever since. However I have one thing I don't like about it. Living in bright sunny Arizona glare is a serious issue -- I would love it if chrome were banned on all cars -- however since chrome is not banned the one thing that keeps getting me in the eyes is the chrome ring that is around the Power button. Is there anything that can be done to solve the glare problem that would look decent? I'm thinking about a replacement ring that was in flat black, or a special decal made to fit exactly over the chrome ring printed in black or dull grey. Anyone else experiencing problems with glare from the ring around the Power button? Would getting a dashmat resolve the problem by shading it? Thanks. Tracy

2. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Funny, I never noticed a glare problem until I was traveling in Arizona. I know what you mean. Even though it's a relatively small amount of chrome, it still bothers. I placed my ballcap over it the steering column as a temporary fix, but of course living there you'd want something more permanent.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why not just rough up the chrome a bit with some emery cloth and paint it flat black with some touch up paint. I think you could do it with the button still installed if you were very careful. Maybe it's not to hard to get the button out so you could do it more easily? I think some people have changed the button for one that says something different so it can't be to hard to get in and out.

4. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe you can use a black permanent marker to darken the chrome ring?

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sho-Bud @ Jul 22 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]290552[/snapback]</div>
    Wow what a great idea, I think I'll try it myself. Some of them will only come off with alcohol so you could still wash your dash with water and the marker could be taken off if you wanted to.

6. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Better still might be a 'paint-pen'. Similiar to a felt tip marker, except the reservoir in the handle contains paint instead of ink. The easiest place to find one would probably be a hobby store.

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

I just masked mine off and spray painted it flat black.