1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Button

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ad78, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ad78

ad78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

in a few days i will get my 08 package #6. yesterday i tested the car. i have one concern on it.
    as i entered on the drivers door, hit the brake and then pushed the start button. i did not put the key on the slot.

i observe that after pushing the power button there is some delay on starting maybe 5 seconds to hear the engine and light up the dash.
    is that normal?

what is the advantage/use of putting the smart key on the slot?

sorry stupid question

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have the SKS there's no advantage to putting it in the slot.

There is always a delay before the ICE starts, but the display should light up immediately and "READY" should be displayed within ~2 seconds indicating the ability to drive the car...it'll be about 5 more seconds, after "READY" before the ICE turns on...but you can still drive under electric power until that happens.
    That's all totally normal.

IF it really takes 5 seconds after pushing the button before the display lights up..that is NOT normal...

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Congratulations on your new purchase! The Smart Key does not require dash insertion. Just leave it in your pocket/purse. As soon as you power up you can, without delay, put the car in gear and go. The gas engine will turn on and off as it needs to without any input from you. This is an advanced auto design and you will find many 'unusual' features compared to your traditional cars. May I suggest you spend some time in various forums on this board getting acquainted with all the features of your new toy?

4. mab49

mab49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Anybody know what happens if you push the power button while you are driving?...the manual simply says do not push except in an emergency...

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing happens if you just push it. If you hold it in it will power down the car and it will glide in neutral until you stop. You must bring the car to a stop to start it again if you do that.

6. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmmm....well, that's complicated....pushing the power button while the vehicle is moving can invoke a triple-state quantum flux field that immediately incinerates the driver :eek:, or you get an effect sort of like what's described in these threads:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...e-facts-you-should-know-about-your-prius.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-ma.../36569-pushing-power-button-while-moving.html

Using the Search link doesn't invoke one of those quantum field thingies....

7. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We use some acronyms so often around here that we sometimes forget to explain when we encounter someone new to the Prius or new to PriusChat.

SKS is the Smart Key System. It sounds like you have this option. As such you can lock and unlock your vehicle doors without inserting a key, and you can turn the vehicle on and off without inserting a key. The slot can be used if you choose to turn off SKS. (This can be done with a button on the underside of the steering column). The slot can also be used if the battery in your key fob is dead.

ICE is Internal Combustion Engine. When you press the power button, watch for the word "ready" to light up on the dash. At this point the ICE will not have started up yet, but the vehicle can still be driven. It will use the high voltage (HV) battery and an electric motor (MG2) to propel the vehicle until the ICE starts up.