1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power consumption of USB device too high....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DavidK2345, Jun 24, 2015.

1. DavidK2345

DavidK2345 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all...

I just got a new 2015 Prius III. Love it thus far.

One glitch - I have an iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, Apple USB cable (not a knock-off)

Every so often, once connected via USB, I get the message, Power consumption of USB device too high. USB device will therefore be turned off."

Unfortunately, it is not repeatable and happens enough to frustrate me.

I tried another cable and still I get the intermittent message.

Thoughts?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The device wants a higher power USB battery charging port than the car provides. Instead, find a 12V-to-USB charger with sufficient current output, that plugs into the 12V outlet.

3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [sigh] @ Apple. :rolleyes:

bertoncini likes this.
  4. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That might be fine for charging, but then the car won't "talk" to the phone for Entune. I could be wrong, but AFAIK the iPhone works fine with BT for phone calls, but needs to be connected via USB for Entune apps. This is the first complaint about this I've seen and I plan on switching to a 6+ soon, so I'm curious to see if this is a real problem or something more isolated.

5. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I found that the built-in USB ports did not provide enough output to quickly charge an iPhone/iPad while also using a particularly power hungry app like GPS navigation.

For the past 2-years I've been using an InCase High-Speed Mini Car Charger which outputs 2.4 amps. It is reliable, fast, and works with my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad 2.

bisco likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone tried a 'powered USB hub' arrangement? I.e. a port expander that plugs into the USB port, provides usually 4 USB port outlets, but gets (extra) power from a separate source. At home, that source would be a wall wart or brick, but in the car it would need to come from an adapter plugged into the 12V outlet.

Not having a need for this myself, I haven't looked for options.

7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I haven't had a need either, but I've wondered the same thing. I still plan on switching to the 6+, but I don't plan to use it for navigation, so my power needs might not be that high.

8. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe a bit of a long shot, but perhaps try cleaning out the lightning port on the phone with a pin/needle? Mine has accumulated plenty of pocket lint, and was occasionally giving me "this accessory is not supported" messages on the phone, or not charging when plugged in - I think just because the lint accumulation was enough to keep the plug from going all the way in. I just gently used a pin to pull the lint out, and it works better now.

Also, make sure the cable is in good repair - no kinks or worn places. The individual wires inside the USB cable are pretty thin, and their insulation is too.

9. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use this rapid charger which charges twice as fast as your Apple-supplied iPhone cable. This charger is spec'd for the iPad 2 and newer. By the way, Apple says it's OK to use an iPad charger on an iPhone. So this is more than fine. I'm spoiled by how fast it charges. in 30 minutes, you'll have more than 65%:

Scosche Rapid Charger