1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power drivers seal in the V

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Rhizzlebop, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Power drivers seat in the V

It surprises me that this does not bother anyone else.
    It surprises me that I can't get a powered drivers seat in a 30K car in 2012!

I enjoy my powered drivers seat in my trailblazer. I'm almost to the point of wondering if someone makes an aftermarket kit for the seat, or a replacement seat (and sell the seat in the car for minimal difference).
    If/when I buy a v it'll be a5 level, so power will be at the seat for the heaters. I'd think plugging in a powered seat should be pretty simple, as long as it matches the car perfectly.

I've been kinda surprised to see on the midyear request list here, that few people want that feature. I was very hopeful it would be added mid year.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do you know it doesn't bother anyone else? not everybody has added their requests to the list that is too long to read, and repetitive. i would like to have a power seat in my upcoming pip, but i wasn't going to pay $7500. to get it. it's not like there are comparable vehicles out there that you can choose that have power seats.

1 person likes this.
  3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's a "Power drivers seal"???

4. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Weight......power seats are much heavier. Heavier car, less mpg.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much weight and how many mpg's are we talking?

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's also known as the "pucker effect". It generally occurs when you are driving fast and reckless and narrowly avoid an accident. Sometimes the seal fails and you wish you had a spare change of undies in the glovebox....

2 people like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weight savings is one reason but I lean more towards cost. Hybrid drivetrains are expensive so to keep costs down and reduce the "hybrid premium" some low tech but arguably expensive items are omitted. On the bright side you get a lot of other goodies that are not standard equipment on other vehicles, like a Trailblazer, which include fuel efficiency monitoring, high crash safety ratings, RELIABILITY, fuel efficiency etc.. Of course some cars do some things the Prius can't do. *shrug* I don't miss power seats.

9. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We were surprised about no power seats, but honestly, I prefer non-power. In my 4Runner, I have to wait for the motor to move the seat all the way up when cleaning the interior and it would be much quicker to just grab the handle and rip. I'd much prefer height adjustable passenger seat in the v than power driver seat.

10. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've been used to not having power seats, I mean, my first car was a Nissan Sentra in 97, a 96 model. The Prius v is my 2nd car, so 15 years of driving a car with no GPS, no linking of a phone to the sound system, no auto-dimming mirrors and definitely no power seats.

While I have played a little with a power seat in an Avalon, in the long run, the old fashion manual seats are what I am used to. But again, to each their own.

11. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A power seat would be more convenient but I'd also prefer a better passenger seat with lumbar support. Generally the lack of a convenience item(s) doesn't usually bother me. The important ones are present. I can think of a lot of wish list items like buying the JBL radio and moonroof without the ATP.

I figure Toyota needs time to decide what the general public finds important or how little we as the US market will accept. W

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a power seat is only important if you can't get the adjustment you need from mechanical. Otherwise, power seat is more of a pain to move far - takes a long time and uses 12V power.

13. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wouldn't like power driver seats.
    1.) how reliable the mechanism would be after 10-15 years.
    2.) adjusting the seats twice a day (for me and my wife) would be a pain. Power driver seats without "memory button" are useless.
    3.) It is much faster to adjust the seats manually. If I want to recline the seats all I need to do is pull the lever and the seat swings back in a second.
    If I had to press the button to recline the front seat would take 10-20sec. :-/

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have been without for 8 years now but would still select if possible. they can be a pain but 8 ways offer far more adjustment then manual, although, i haven't experienced the gen III height adjustment yet.

15. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Assuming the seats have 3-memory button; if not they are useless and a pain to adjust.
    I would not buy a car that has power adjustable seats without memory buttons.

Can you imaging looking for perfect adjustment twice a day :-/

16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For me, I could do without it. What I would have liked to see was a memory seat added to it. I know everything comes down to cost with Toyota, but seriously, how much would it have been to add a simple 2 driver memory mode feature to the power drivers seat...

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our 08 hycam has 8 way drivers seat, no memory. how many cars around 30K have them with memory? seems like an expensive option.

18. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I'm talking in the PiP Advanced. It's a close to $40k car, $39,525.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like f8l said, the money is in the tech, so you get less options than some other cars.

20. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I realize that, just saying I'd have liked to see it since w/o it the power seats aren't much important to me...