1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power generating speedbumps !!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by craigcush, Dec 18, 2005.

1. craigcush

craigcush Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...set/4535408.stm

text;

Ramp creates power as cars pass

A road ramp that uses passing cars to generate power has been developed.

Dorset inventor Peter Hughes' Electro-Kinetic Road Ramp creates around 10kW of power each time a car drives over its metal plates.

More than 200 local authorities had expressed an interest in ordering the £25,000 ramps to power their traffic lights and road signs, Mr Hughes said.

Around 300 jobs are due to be created in Somerset for a production run of 2,000 ramps next year.

Plates in the ramp move up and down as vehicles pass over them, driving a generator.

"The ramp is silent, comfortable and safe for vehicles," Mr Hughes said.

Inventor Peter Hughes spent £1m developing the ramps

Depending on the weight of the vehicle passing overhead, between five and 50kW can be generated.

The prototype was created and tested at Hughes Research unit at the Westland Helicopter base in Somerset, at a cost of £1m.

The concept has been developed by Dorset-based Mr Hughes over the past 12 years. He recently approached councils across the country with the final patented project.

How many applications can all us "Prius Heads" come up with for this?

1. All freeway onramps

2. Schools zones

3. Parking lots

4. ??

2. Mojo40

Mojo40 New Member

As a Prius Head, I would be hacked off at these ramps. They are essentially robbing energy from the vehicles that pass over them (momentarily increased rolling resisitance). The one place they might be acceptable is on a down hill road (conventional vehicles are just converting excess kinetic energy into heat via friction braking anyway). Of course, every time a Prius Head drives downhill, we feel satisfaction as we see the little schematic showing all the regenerated energy heading into our battery. We get truely giddy if we score 3 or more leaf-car units (50 Watt-Hour energy units.)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know those left turn signs? A car could stop over this plate and while it's depressed, it charges a capacitor that'll give power to the left turn light lol.

And, if there are multiple plates, the longer the light will last (i.e more cars waiting to left turn)

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No doubt, it is a good invention, but the amount of power it generates is quite minimal to recover the $1M cost (even if it goes down to $100K in near future). Assuming a car passes the bump for 1 sec each time, and assume that there are 360 cars pass the street for one random day, here is the energy it generates (powerxtime)

20kWx360sec = 2kWxh

Last month my electric bill says 850 kWxh. You need 425 such bumps to power one family for one month. That is about 14 bumps for one day. At $100K, the cost is about $1.4M to power one family for one day. At 5% interest rate, the interest for one day of $1.4M is $70K/365 ~= $200. That is more than my G&E bill for one month.

My point is that such energy is of high cost. Sea waves may actually be a better power source since it is constantly present, not for 360 secs in one day. Just my humble opinion... :)

5. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Go ahead and doubt.
    This is not a good invention.

Passive harnessing of energy makes sense where the energy is not already in use and would go to waste otherwise.
    This device doesn't recover lost energy, it actively steals it from the consumer who purchased it. :angry:

6. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

i don't know, kiloran, my husbands first thought was right on line with ceric - that it is great technology because the next logical step would be wave action.

this might not be a feasible technology now, but it may well lead us to a clean, sustainable power source - i applaud the technology, if not the current application

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Harnessing energy from waves in the sea is probably a fine thing (I believe there are some environmental issues even with this.

Harnessing energy from my car is not ok.
    That energy comes straight out of the fuel I purchase.
    It would actually be more efficient to steal the fuel right out of the tank rather than letting my car burn it, convert it into mechanical energy, convert it into electrical energy and then store it in a battery.
    (mechanical engineering degree)

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

so why pay 100G when they are only 25K pounds??

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Its one thing if they don't put them anywhere except places where they would have them anyway.... but I'm sure they will get greedy and I could see them on freeways and all kind of places to keep speeders down and make power at the same time.

It would increase wear and tear and become extremely annoying as the shock is transferred into your vehicle.... They may even be dangerous.

I just really think it would not be managed well and they would get carried away.

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I seriously doubt that these things would appear on the freeway or any major road. Retrofitting existing speed bumps however would be a much better use.