1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power hatchback?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Robroy, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Robroy

Robroy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I was wondering if there's a way I can make the liftgate power? I carry alot of stuff to the car (100 times a day) and was wondering if I can somehow make my tailgate open with remote?

Thanks in advance

2. Martin Leduc

Martin Leduc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, anything can be done ;). I dont know if a kit are already made for this, but I think you have to figure out few things:

- Replacing the Hydraulic cylinders and add a pump
    - Link this pump to a small hydraulic controler

Ok, hydraulic is a bit overkill, but an electric motor will need the same kind of setup.

The handle on the hatchback of the car seems to be an electronic "solenoid" witch is designed to unlock and push few millimeters up the door. So by adding a TAP on this handle to close/open the circuit, start the pump pushing hydraulic oil into the hydraulic cylinder. Don't forget to add sensors linked to the controler to detect the open/close state and stop the pump.

The most difficult part for me, caused I'm not a mechanic, it's the hydraulic pistons required force and angle to correctly push the hatchback door up without applying a force at the wrong place. Referring to an angle of zero as the horizontal, the Prius have a negative angle when the door are close. Witch is mean it need more power to lift up the door until it reach the zero and will have to give a more resistance when the hatchback will going down to do not hit so hard the door when it finished his run.

Like I said, I don't know if a kit are already done for this, but anything can be done with money, time and a garage!

Good luck

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to accessories and modifications