1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Loss- Suggestions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by keeweekid, Oct 2, 2011.

1. keeweekid

keeweekid New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

1st time poster. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Problem:
    Past 2 weeks, I have been experiencing an occaisional power flucuation while driving. My foot will be on the accelerator (sometimes actually accelerating and sometimes just maintaining speed), and feel a brief loss of power, power returns, loses a little power again....then everything returns to norm and nothing may happen again for the entire drive. Again, it is very brief power fluctuation.

Other Items that may or may not be related, just throwing them out
    -1st time this happened was about 150 miles after I took my car to get an oil change, air filter and new tires. (I read somewhere when I was looking around online for others having similar problems that if the wrong oil was used perhaps this was a possible cause...but who knows).

I took it back to a dealership and had them run codes....nothing.
    No warning lights coming up.

Vehicle is a 2005 Prius with 157K.

Any thoughts that would explain this occaisional power fluctuation but produce no codes.

On a possibly seperate note (??), the guy that test drove it at a dealership (not a Toyota dealership) was concerned about the battery power dropping rapidly when he drove it around the lot. I have begun watching this and have only seen this happen once (all green and dropped to 1 bar on 1 flat 35mph drive in about 30 seconds). Took it to a Toyota dealership and a Prius tech drove it around and battery didn't drop or do anything funny which has been more or less the norm.

Live in Colorado at 9,000 feet, no extreme heat or anything like that.

Any thoughts/suggestions...thanks in advance.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It sounds like when they drove it around the lot and it dropped fast, you parked it, they came out and started it, then drove around. If so, then they were in the warmup stage it is supposed to use the battery more and keep the engine running but minimal to no power to the wheels until it warms up. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Have you replaced the transmission fluid yet? And what oil did they put in, and who is they?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mass flow sensor? Perhaps it needs to have the throttle body cleaned.

Tom

4. keeweekid

keeweekid New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They= Lexus Dealership
    Oil- no idea what oil they put in. It has been a few weeks, so just in case they put the wrong oil in, today I am going to go get another oil change to get that oil out and see if that works.

Replaced transmission fluid- can't tell you off the top of my head.

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the original 12v battery in the car?
    A misfiring spark plug should set off a code but might not???

6. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would go to an auto store and buy 4 quarts of Mobile 1 0w20 oil. Tell them to refill using this, and that there should be somewhere between a half bottle to a quarter bottle left over when they are done. Get the bottles back before you leave, and if you don't know how to check your oil level have one of them show you that the oil is between the 2 bumps and not higher or lower than either. There is no Lexus model that takes 0w20, so it is doubtful that's what you got. Our Lexus dealership while offering nice free muffins, has little that will service the Prius.

If the ATF change hasn't been done, then I would do that. You NEED Toyota brand Toyota WS ATF. It will cost about $40 for 4 quarts. You do not want to "flush" the system, as there is no torque converter or squirrly bends to hide fluid. Really all you do is open the drain plug (10mm hex) and watch it pour out. Then close it back up, open the fill port above with a 24mm socket and pump new stuff in. Presto chango. Toyota says it is "lifetime" fluid and doesn't need to be changed. However the consensus is that it should be changed initially at 30K and then every 60K after that at a minimum. So with the mileage on your car, I would just do it. For $40 and an hour of your time, it is pretty good insurance.

Good question on the 12v. I don't think this would cause the power loss unless the SOC was already at 1-2 bars because of the 12v. But it is a good preventative maintenance item as well.

A single bad spark plug makes no code. But 2 bad spark plugs do.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You put alot of miles on that car. Averaging 31,000 a year. I hope your doubling up on the maintenance.

Trans fluid should be changed every 30K miles.
    If it was me I would change the Inverter coolant every 30K also. Its very easy.
    Oil change every 7000 miles.
    Way overdue for new plugs with special attention paid to the Ignitor connectors and check for any signs of water damage from the windshield water dam seal possible leak.
    Periodic cleaning the the throttle body and MAF sensor.
    And a new 12 volt battery if you still have the
    original battery.

And lastly to address your current problem did you check your VIn to see if you are on the Inverter Coolant pump replacement
    campaign? Sounds to me you lost your coolant pump.
    Check for turbulanece in the Coolant reservoir while the car is in READY.

8. keeweekid

keeweekid New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just came back from getting the oil changed. Put synthetic 5W-30 in it and replaced the oil filter...don't think it fixed the problem.
    Will next move to the transmission fluid and put some new fluid in that.
    Was reading somewhere on here about how to check the 12V using the screen so will try that as well to see how the 12V is holding.
    Thanks for the suggestions on the Inverter Coolant pump replacement. I was down for a recall awhile back, was under the impression that this is what they did but will double check.
    Might be a silly question, but could you explain more by "periodic leaning of the throttle body and MAF sensor"?

I do put a lot of miles on the Prius as I do the Drivers Ed for the area so all the kids learn on the Prius (raising a generation of Prius drivers hopefully) and will hopefully continue to learn on the Prius but need to figure what is causing the occaisional power fluctuation.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just changed my 12v battery in my 06 with the new Optima battery. The gas engine fells smoother and less fluctuation during the idling part (before reaching Stage4). I have 151k miles and it reminds me of the feel when I got the car.

10. keeweekid

keeweekid New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    checked the 12V via the screen on the Prius and it is reading 12.3
    Matt

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mountain driving can be hard on the HV battery. The big question, can you hear the HV battery fan running? Have you ever cleaned the duct for the HV battery fan? It is probably clogged with lint if you have a carload of dirty teenagers all the time. Do you ever park and shut off the car at the bottom of the grade with 8 green bars? That's also really hard on the battery, and you may be due for a replacement. Problems there can be a source of hesitation and fits the huge state of charge swings that you and the Lexus tech observed. You can get a reasonably priced refurb'd battery from Adopt-A-Part in Boulder. For now, drive it until it gives you the red triangle.

1 person likes this.
  12. keeweekid

keeweekid New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replaced spark plugs- same issue.

The hesitation issue seems to happen in the 1st few minutes once the car is started. I have changed out oil in case that was the issue.

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you sure that you're not just feeling the warmup algorithm? The car tries to NOT use the engine in warmup (first few minutes of driving) and relies mostly on the battery. If you give it enough go-pedal pressure to where it thinks you need power now and lots of it, it will engage the engine and use it. So you will get an extra umph of power when that happens but as soon as you say a little less power, it will free spin the engine again until it's warm.

14. keeweekid

keeweekid New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It will even happen when coasting (foot barely on the pedal and just maintaining speed going 15mph). Just a feeling of power coming in and out (doesn't to much to the mph but you feel that something is going on).
    Have started watching the battery, when this does happen, the arrow goes back from the battery to the engine when this happens (although going to double check this tomorrow).
    My mpg also seem about less than what they normally are (now around 40mpg to 43mpg, about 10% lower than what I am used to).
    Again, problem doesn't happen all the time, more in the 1st few minutes (but it has happened at times even on the Interstate going 65 mph). Talked to a tech and asked him if ignition wires but he didn't think it would be that.
    Just told me it would be good if they could replicate the problem. Problem is, I am 1.5hrs away form a dealership.

15. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Declining MPG is another indication of impending HV battery problems. 157K miles, Rocky Mountain driving, 2005, lower MPG -- I think you need to prepare yourself for a replacement in the coming months. It is possible that it will limp along for a while, especially if you drive it daily -- less likely to see problems due high self discharge in a weak module. I don't know where you are in CO, but do not go to Toyota in Grand Junction.

1 person likes this.
  16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1.5hours away from a dealership in Colorado means you are either out in the east-boonies where's the cows and corn roam or you are in the west-boonies living on a giant rock. Guessing the 1.5hrs is to Denver?

If you are in the west and it lived most of its life going up passes for 150k+ miles, I think seilerts is correct.

Now the good (depending on how you think about it) news is that you can get a Hymotion plugin with rebates from the state of CO installed (in Boulder I believe) that 100% replaces your original pack. So get the upgrade and a new battery pack. I am essentially waiting for my pack to kick the bucket or pass 100K, then I am starting my personal PHEV conversion.

1 person likes this.
  17. keeweekid

keeweekid New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, finally got issue resolved.
    Searching through the forum here, I came across Adopt A Part in Denver. Took it down to Denver. They did road test and code check again.
    Came up with Pending code of Main Battery Failure/Malfunction...So it was my main battery. Eric (by the way, great and super knowledgeable guy) told me that $158K running it up and down the mountainous areas will put a lot of strain on the battery.
    Got a redone battery put in with labor for $1200 and running like normal again.

Glad I came across this forum, learning a lot and now highly recommend Adopt A Part in Denver (www.adoptapart.com)

Thanks again to all who assisted in answering my initial post.
    Matt

4 people like this.
  18. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad to hear that Eric helped you out. Anybody with a Prius problem in Colorado should start at Adopt a Part.

1 person likes this.