1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. 11sanibel

11sanibel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    During a recent vacation trip from illinois to florida my prius lost power in downtown atlanta, ga. There were no check engine lights that came on only, a total loss of engine power. we were able to coast to a stop getting off the interstate. I still had dash lights but no power. After putting it in park and hitting the power button it shut down like normal. I then hit the power button and put it in drive and it had reset everything and ran fine for the rest of the trip. several weeks later the identical thing happened to my daughter during a trip to the lake of the ozarks. I took it to the dealer because my 2010 only had 20,000 miles. They had it for four days and could not locate anything wrong. I am stumped and concerned. I would appreciate any answers.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too.

3. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a similar anomaly occur with my 2010 with 11K miles just yesterday where stopping/resetting solved things.

My daughter was going to drive it, and she's driven it before, but not often. She pressed the button, went to put it into R, and somehow it got into N ... from that point neither she nor I could get the car to go into either gear (D or R) ... it was essentially STUCK in N. I shut the car down, started it back up and all was fine. It's never done anything like this before or since.

Anybody else ever experience this ?

REV

4. 11sanibel

11sanibel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks. according to the dealership, they were stumped. never heard of it before.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if it's a software glitch, but then, you would see more of it? it has to be disconcerting to head out wondering if it's going to stall and be a safety hazard. did you buy it new? all the best!

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Never had that happen to me, but I've seen it happen in ordinary ICE cars. My parents' Mitsubishi lost power for no reason during a trip to Las Vegas and it started right up again after pulling over.

7. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :spy:It's ALIENS!

8. Kore971

Kore971 PEDD-CESC

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What i gathered reading these was, the first case might have been an accidental pushing the shifter to "R" while moving causing the prius to go into neutral making it feel like there is "no power", then when they turned the car off and restarted it they shifted into drive and everything was normal as before, the second case i read sounds like the ignition was on but not in "READY" mode, which is he reason "D" or "R" could not be selected..., If you dont push the brake pedal long enough before releasing it, i have seen it not go in "READY" but the ignition jumps striaght to "ON", correct me if im wrong but it sounds like nothing is wrong with either car...

9. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you're right in my case ... I think my daughter did something squirelly by accident.

I'm not worried in the least and I'm just going to ignore it.

REV

10. 11sanibel

11sanibel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes we bought the car brand new. never had a problem the first twenty thousand miles. it is very upsetting to have to worry about this problem. also, to kore, we did not push the shifter to "r" accidently, we were driving 65 mph in downtown atlanta at the time of the trouble... i wondered if it was a sensor of some type...

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My wife had a similar incident with our Gen2. Going down the freeway at about 65, and the car lost power. Once stopped by the side of the road, she figured out that she was adjusting the air outlet, and brushed the Park button. Going to Neutral instead of Park was the right thing to do. Putting the Park button so close to the air outlet was probably not the best design.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  13. Kore971

Kore971 PEDD-CESC

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So, at the time of your loss of power..., was the display showing the car in "D" or was it showing "N", and as stated earlier, The park button can also be pressed accidentally, causing the loss of power..., because the prius shifts into "N"...

14. TonyK51

TonyK51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    twice in a week I somehow put our Prius in to N and experienced "no power."

But becoming aware of how touching the shifter is, I know what to look for and have had no more issues with it.

15. 11sanibel

11sanibel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was the problem, the shifter still showed "D". That was what stumped Toyota. I understand the accidently touching the shifter could slip it into nuetral, however that was not what the shifter showed. All three occasions with two separate drivers causes me to wonder why??????

16. Kore971

Kore971 PEDD-CESC

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    well yea that is wierd.., just hpoe it doesn't happen again :confused:, but if it does record it!, good luck!

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is synthetic okay to use?

18. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just make sure you use unLEDed blinker fluid, unless you've modded your Prius to accept it.

19. 11sanibel

11sanibel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, snythetic is what it comes with.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: