1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Off - music and cell phone

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by krausternet, Mar 26, 2013.

1. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I finish a trip I stop, engage the [P] button, and then hit the POWER ON button to turn off the car. If I am listening to something over bluetooth or on the phone the audio stops, until I hit the POWER ON button again and wait a few seconds for that part of the system to boot. Is there a way to turn off the car and not have the audio system stop?

I guess I could just use only the [P] button which when the car is stopped usually means the ICE is not turning using gas but if I am sitting in the car for a few minutes on the phone the motor usually comes on during that time, which I want to avoid.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put it in neutral, but i must caution you, you can run down the 12v battery very quickly if you don't let the engine recharge. it doesn't take much to put it completely out of commision which can cost you a couple hundred dollars. you're not saving gas by keeping the engine off. it runs to charge the batteries because you're using electricity. when you start driving, it has to play catch up and you'll use the same amount of gas in the long run.

3. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I understand your logic that energy drained from the battery must be made up at a later point and that uses the same amount of gas as would be required if the engine was coming on for a while during the phone conversation. Is it the main battery under the back seat that is being used, or is it the small battery in the trunk?

4. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think putting it in neutral disconnects the traction battery, so that's no better than putting it in park. In fact, it's probably worse because, as you mention, the car can't charge the battery if it gets low.

In accessory mode, it runs off the 12V battery, which will be fine for a few minutes of use. A battery in good condition should probably support at least an hour of use without problem, probably more. However, there's no way to get from ON to ACC without turning it off first.

Instead, I suggest you drive more slowly, or take more side roads, so that you arrive at your destination just in time to turn off the audio at a convenient place. If you do it right, you'll even save some gas! :)