1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

power outlet mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ernda, Feb 25, 2006.

1. ernda

ernda New Member

Coastal tech specifies that it's front power outlet mod (to always make it "hot") is for 2004 and 2005 models, not 2006. I haven't looked myself but is the 2006 wired differently such that it wouldn't work (isn't that little green wire under the front dash there in the 2006 model?)?

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There wouldn't really be any reason to change it, but sometimes
    manufacturers get weird ideas. Might be high time to pull the '06
    repair manual from TIS and start digging...
    _H*

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can confirm that there's no reason why it should NOT work! While I didn't purchase the coastal "kit" I did use their instructions to give me enough clues to build my own. You're just grabbing the hot green wire before the relay, and jumpering it over to the outlet. All you're doing is bypassing the relay that only gives power to the outlet when the car is on. Nothing significant changed in 2006. My guess is that they just haven't updated the page to include 2006.

Here's what I recently did:
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_12v_outlets.htm

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would guess it is a matter of being cautious, until it is tested and confirmed they will not sell it as a mod. Now if you want to be a beta tester go ahead let everyone how it comes out. My guess is that it will work, but I am a Doctor not a Electrical Engineer, so that shot from the hip is worth nothing. Good luck!

5. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I installed it on my 2006 back about January 4th. Works fine. I talked to Coastal when I ordered the kit and told them it was for a 2006. They didn't know one way or the other if there were any changes for the 2006 but they expected that it would work. It does.

I had installed the same mod on a 2005. I didn't see any differences. I did check it with a voltmeter to verify correct operation before and after.

- Tom