1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power port only works when car is ON (ie running)??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daveleeprius, Jan 8, 2007.

1. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I went to put air in my tires last weekend with a new power port air compressor. I plugged it in and figured it should work with the car in the second ignition switch position (the one where you don't put your foot on the brake and press Power twice. This is where everything is on but the engine. Went over and pressed the power button on the compressor and nothing happened! Weird?! So I started the engine, and the thing worked. After 35 seconds or so the engine switched off but I had to leave it started for the whole time I used the thing.

Is this normal? Do I have to take the car into the dealer for this? All other cars I've had will give power to the power port without actually starting the car. And yes, I had pressed the Power button twice, not once. Once will power the radio and nothing else. Twice will allow you to raise and lower the windows, run the fan, etc. But not use the power port I guess. Very weird.

It was the power port on the lower dash, not the one in the cubby between the seats.

Dave

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) That's the same way mine works. In using my 12v mini-compressor, I always go to "READY" mode. The Owner's Manual does say "The hybrid system must in "ACC" or "IG-ON" for the power outlets to be used." This would lead me to believe that pressing the "POWER" button without depressing the brake pedal would energize the 12v power outlet... but it doesn't on my Prius either.

This "feature" prevents running down the 12v auxiliary battery with things like a compressor, Tomboy, cellphone charger etc. since the ICE will come on if necessary to maintain the 12v battery charge. That 12v Prius battery is very small, about the size of a motorcycle battery.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Charles is quite correct, the 12 volt battery is quite small. When I use my compressor, I also have it in Ready.

That being said, Coastal Tech sells a Power Outlet Mod, which will keep the outlet in the dash "hot" at all times (if you have the parts you can follow the instructions there and save some money). This is handy if you have one of those solar panel trickle chargers that plugs into the power outlet.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ehh.. how does that work? I've used my compressor to inflate the tyres in IG-ON mode.

I've just done it as recent as last Wed when I had to inflate a flat tyre back up to 36 psi (caught a nail and I didn't want to leave it sitting on the rim overnight). Took me a good 10 mins to pump it up and I had no issues. The doors were left open too (rear dome and front footwell lights were left on)

5. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 8 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]372782[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps it's one more difference between the '04s (and maybe '05s - I haven't checked mine) and the '06+s.

Now that I think about it, I can use the one below the dash in IG-ON, but not the one in the center console. But this is from memory only, not recent testing, so I could be wrong.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Jan 9 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]373247[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, mine's an 05.

I'm talking about the lower passenger outlet. That's the one I use.

7. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 9 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]373266[/snapback]</div>
    I meant to check this with yesterday and I forgot. Maybe I'll run out to the parking lot and check it in a few minutes.

8. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    OK, I just checked this on my car (technically in my car). Both 12v outlets work when in ACC mode - my cellphone started charging and my Sirius StarMate started playing.

Although, the air compressor would probably need a little more juice than my StarMate or my cell phone charger, so having the car in READY would be a good idea. In fact, I also have the car in READY when using my air compressor (when it's not running off it's own battery).

9. poodlemaster

poodlemaster New Member

i have a 2007 prius recently purchased, and i can use both power outlets in acc. i also use a portable air compressor to fill my tires but have no problem doing so in acc. maybe it just doesn't work in older models.