1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power-Split-Device (details)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Jan 28, 2006.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [Broken External Image]:http://home.att.net/~john1701a/Power-Split-Device_details_draft_page-2.gif . [Broken External Image]:http://home.att.net/~john1701a/Power-Split-Device_details_draft_page-3.gif

The 2 pages you see here (there are 4 total) reveal what I'm attempting to deliver. There are obviously no words yet. But if I did a good job with the illustrations, you shouldn't need them to understand what happens anyway.

THIS WEBPAGE ...provides a PDF that you can download to inspect the illustrations in full-size.

So... what do ya think?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

John on the "startup the arrow on the pinion gear is pointing the wrong direction.

3. Frank Hudon

in stealth the sun is turning the wrong direction.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, I see the error. I figured there would be some, since simplification isn't ever simple.

By the way, thanks for the very prompt response!

And my illustrations are based on Graham's absolutely wonderful descriptions & animations, so a thank you to him too.

5. Frank Hudon

when accelerating if the ICE is running fast and the car is slow the pinion is turning the wrong direction. Cruising could well be right depending on speed of the car.

6. Frank Hudon

on startup when the ring (outer ) is stopped the pinions/planets on the planet carrier being engaged on the inner teeth of the ring are turning backwards in comparisson to the direction of the carrrier. They are turning on a shaft that is connected to the carrier. The easiest way to visulize this is to take a round object and hold it between two fingers to act as an axle now take your mouse pad and hold it upside down to simulate the ring gear and then rotate your hand it the direction of the carrier and you'll see the round object turn in the opposite direction.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Although planetary gearsets are durable and simple - given their durability - they are almost impossible to understand just by looking at an illustration.

You really have to pay a visit to a shop class - or an engineering class - to see a cutaway demonstration unit. Only then, by turning the crank, can you see just how the sun gear and planetary gears mesh and work.

Just don't poke your finger inside. That hurts.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's why I haven't attempted a document until now. Getting to play with a model at a Toyota sponsored Prius event is what impressed the heck out of me. I was amazed by the flexibility of that design... but baffled about how I could properly portray it without animation.

I'm hoping the heavily simplified illustrations I finally came up with, combined with short plain-english descriptions, will do the trick.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  10. Frank Hudon

John can you please post it as a .pdf the text is so small I'm unable to read it. Thanks

11. Frank Hudon

actually never mind I found it.

12. Frank Hudon

looking better now. You should also include in the accelerating and cruising illustrations that the planet carrier can run faster than the ring and that will in some instances change the direction of the planets and the sun but for most of the time this illustration is correct. Also when the ICE is running and you put the car in reverse that the PC turns and the sun turns the other way.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The WORDS are now available too.

If you'd like to contribute feedback before I reveal the link to the rest of the world, check it out now... http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-psd_details.htm

After having struggled to get this far for over month, my patience is wearing thin. But I know, everything involving Prius requires some type of waiting... and it is always well worth it.