1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Steering in the Prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ronhowell, Oct 30, 2007.

1. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All,

New Prius owner here, but learning every second! Is it true that the Power Steering in the Prius is "electronic"? During my younger engineering days "electronic" signified light current , whereas "electrical" signified heavy (i.e. Power) current. Since I was in the Aero engineering fraternity, all fly-by-wire aircraft I was familiar with used electronic signaling but the muscle to move flying surfaces was provided by hydraulic actuators, either static or dynamic. Of course the forces being dealt with were quite high.

So is the Prius power steering purely electrical throughout, or does it involve electrical signaling but hydaulic actuation? Just interested!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That definition of electronic and electrical is not commonly used. Electrical indicates that electricity is used, where electronic adds some sort of electrical control system, which now-a-days usually means transistors or some sort of chips. The steering in the Prius is done via an electronic drive system; no hydraulics are involved.

Tom

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 30 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]532578[/snapback]</div>
    In other words, using the OP definition, the Prius power steering is both electronic and electrical.

Of course I suppose that all depends on exactly how many amps you use to draw the line between "light" current and "heavy" current.

Is there an official "current" limit for electronic vs. electrical, or is it left up to the speaker? In that case, it could be just electrical, or just electronic.

Since something (the wheels) have to actually "move", I suppose the best description would be electro-mechanical. I assume that magnetic force is used to convert the electric power into the mechanical force, so perhaps a reasonable description is electromagnetic?

I guess it all comes down to what you are trying to describe about the system. Whichever description you use, it looks like qbee answered what the OP wants to know. No hydraulic actuation.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/training/800/eps.jpg for a
    shot of the torque sensor, control electronics, and nylon drive gear
    that the motor talks to. No hydraulics needed -- the motor circuit
    is fused for something like 50 amps, and could easily break your arm
    if you were on the wrong end of it. In fact EPS systems do need
    fairly high peak power requirements, albeit infrequent, so other
    manufacturers are starting to implement higher-voltage systems for
    them. The HiHy, for example, uses a 42-V DC/DC converter hung off
    the hybrid battery just for the purpose.
    _H*

5. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ron Howell @ Oct 30 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]532563[/snapback]</div>
    Yup! Back in the days when an active device (transistor or vacuum tube) couldn't handle enough power there was such a distinction.

Now, since all of the motor power of the Prius is transistor controlled, it's not only an electric car, but an electronic car.

By today's standards, it is very reasonable to call the power steering electronic, because the actuator is an electronically controlled dc motor.

6. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Many thanks to all, esp. Hobbit and Kohnen for their illumination of the question. I was wondering if the Prius system was operating off the 12V circuits or a fraction of the higher NiMH battery circuit. If it is similar to the HiHy that Hobbit describes I assume the latter applies.

Does the steering rate sensitivity vary with actual road speed? I can't say I have noticed any, but I'm still running the car in anyway. Only 319 "smooth as silk" miles so far.

Ron.

7. Bruce vanNorman

Bruce vanNorman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That definition is highly used. The difference involves neither ampacity nor voltage (electromotive force). Electronics refers to electrical C3 (Command, Control, & Communications) and C4 (C3 + Computer) deployments. The Prius comes fairly close to 100% "drive by wire". I wonder if steering is the only exception.

8. Tom Harleman

Tom Harleman New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the first 600 miles we took a road trip. The 2013 Prius seems to wander off center a lot and required heavier tweaking than I'm used to in my 2000 Explorer. I usually drive with my arms low and just barely hold the wheel with one hand. With the Prius I felt compelled to keep both hands on the wheel because it frequently wandered off center a little both right and left.

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    All Prii are sensitive to wheel alignment and soft sidewall tires and will tend to "wander" at highway speed if either problem exists. The first thing to try is to run your tires at a higher PSI than Toyota suggests (stay below the MAX Cold PSI stated on your tire sidewalls). If the problem is still there, ether get decent tires and/or have the alignment checked.

JeffD

alekska likes this.