1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power steering problems!

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by jazzylady, Aug 4, 2009.

1. jazzylady

jazzylady New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Code C1513 for torque sensor malfunction, ECU and sensor has power and feedback signal. Recalibrated. Still intermittently lose power steering. Dealer says to replace rack and computer for $2,500!!!
    Any alternative? Why replace all that for a sensor? 2002 Prius, 137,000 miles mostly highway (commute 52 miles one way to Cambridge MA)

2. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Jazzy - I'm guessing you'll get more responses if you post this in another forum. Like the Gen 1 or 2 Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting forums. Those guys will offer all kinds of help!!

Good Luck!

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Unfortunately, Toyota designed the system with the sensors deeply buried. Not saying I could have done it better, but combine that with the use of potentiometers that too often become noisy...this story has happened before.

One possible solution is a complete steering assembly from a salvage 2003 Prius, ideally one w/o major front-end damage.

Unfortunately this is not something you can ignore, because steering assist 'dropouts' at low vehicle speeds mean a lot of turning force may be required for maneuvering. Some people (apparently with weak arms?) have described the sterring as 'locked' - almost certainly not true, but startling for sure.

4. hyperion

hyperion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a new Toyota oem power steerin computer I can sell you for $200 (retail for over $500). email me if interested, wish I could help on the rack also.