1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power tap for aux lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Drakba, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Drakba

Drakba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I have a question for the techies here.

I have a 2008 Prius, and I am adding some high intensit Cree led lights under my front bumper.

I travel some very dark country roads, and the HID's and Fogs are not enough.

So, I ordered a couple sets of leds, and a wiring harness/switch for it.

I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on where to tap power from. I am not looking for contant power,but want power to be cut when I turn the car off.

Obviously, somewhere under the hood would be preferable.

I appreciate any advise!

Paul

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome to PC. Picking up a fused supply from the jump point under the hood and taking it trough a relay to the lights controlled by your switch fed from a ready signal from inside the car would be the best approach. Alternatively you could pick up the feed from the fog lights to operate the new lights directly or control the relay.
    I can post the lighting circuit or the power distribution circuit if it would help.

John (Britprius)

3. Drakba

Drakba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello John,

Yes please, any advise would be much appreciated!

I would rather not take power off the fog lights, as I am afraid the power draw on that circuit would be too great. I am trying to figure out a unused tap from the fuse box perhaps?

Thanks,

Paul

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are usually no untapped fuses, but as I stated earlier you can use an inline fuse from the jump point in the fuse box.Wiring diagrams below.
    Headlamps & Fog Lamps wo_DRL 1of2.jpg Headlamps & Fog Lamps wo_DRL 2of2.jpg Power Distribution 1 of 2.jpg Power Distribution 2of2.jpg
    Hope this helps.

John (Britprius)

Data Daedalus likes this.