1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power windows work only 80% of the time

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by superathlete, May 8, 2013.

1. superathlete

superathlete New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had my 2010 for three years. It has 55K miles, generally is well kept with no problems or accidents. Early on, the windows would not roll down when it was below 40 degrees or so until the car had run for several minutes.

Recently, the windows have become much more cranky. Sometimes they will not roll down at all, sometimes they will not roll up at all, at all temperatures. The problem has always applied to all four windows. I've been careful to make sure the problem was not originating from the window lock. This will be a real problem some rainy day....

Has anyone else had this problem? The car is a July 2009 production model.

Thanks!

2. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Haven't had the problem myself. As you've described it, it sounds like it might be a dirty connector in the system. Is there any rhyme or reason to when they do start to work again? Do you have to shut down, or just wait a while and keep trying?

3. superathlete

superathlete New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No rhymes or reasons that I can figure out yet. If they don't work, shutting off the car and restarting tends to not cure the problem. Seems to need some time before they work again.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when it first started, did you take it to the dealer for warranty repair?

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had unresponsive windshield wipers when it got cold this winter. The dealer couldn't reproduce it even though they acted up while the service advisor was writing it up.
    At my request he replaced the (incredibly miniature) fuse and they haven't acted up since.
    It seems like the cheapest, easiest place to start...

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Does the windows work with the switches on the door other when the master switch doesn't?
    If they work on individual door switches, most likely you have a faulty master window switch.

7. superathlete

superathlete New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll try this next time they don't work. Performed flawlessly today.

8. superathlete

superathlete New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally had the windows not work. I've been biking a lot lately.

Using the driver's side switch, windows would not go up or down. Using the switch on each respective door, the windows operated properly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this means something is messed up in the driver's door switch. Other thoughts?