1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Powering a boombox

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by neon tetra, Apr 14, 2012.

1. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Would it be bad for the electrical system to leave the car on for a few hours a day on a weekend camping trip & run one of these - RV-NB70 - JVC Kaboom CD Radio Boombox With iPod/iPhone Dock at Abt
    through a DC to AC converter plugged into it? I would leave everything else off (fans/lights/radio) in the car.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If the Prius is in READY, it will be fine.

3. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Now I just need to find a good size inverter. The radio is only 40w total, but I guess I should get at least 100?

4. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The inverter needs to supply at least as much current as the device(s) you are powering. Going above and beyond won't make any difference.

5. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    my thoughts are.... why don't you get a bunch of batteries? so you don't limit yourself from being hooked up to the car to listen to it..

which btw, the car itself has a nice audio system to begin with that you could use... cause you're... already willing to attach a boombox thru an inverter from the car.

(though i suppose at that point you can run a long extension cord...)

but.. i'm still wondering why you can't buy a bunch of batteries though.

6. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A boombox can be aimed at a certain area to provide the best sound. All the speakers of the car face inwards.

7. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You can barely hear the system from outside the car. & it takes 10 D batteries, so it would eat through those too quickly I think. I have rechargeables, but it only does 4 at a time, so it would take 3 runs just to get batteries, & they probably wouldn't last very long.

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Suggestions:

1. Wire the inverter directly to the 12V battery, with a proper fuse. Many inverters will blow the cigarette lighter fuse even if they are only rated 100W.
    2. Only run the inverter with the car in Ready.
    3. I have two 400W Cobra inverters and can recommend them. http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B001RNOHBC?tag=priuschatcom-20

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For an even more environmentally friendly solution get yourself a little 12V jumpstart box (you can get these pretty cheap) and wire some short leads straight to the bombox battery terminals that you can jumper to. Then get yourself a little solar battery charger to keep the jumpstart box charged and you're not tied to the car. As an added bonus you've go a kit that can really get you out of trouble if you do get a flat battery in a remote camping location!

BTW. Even though that thing is rated at 40W (at 10% THD), in practice you'll probably be listening to it at significantly less wattage, especially if you don't want to annoy other campers. Many people greatly over-estimate how much power is needed to listen to music at a reasonable volume.

10. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Standard Alkaline D batteries are 1.5V and typically have a capacity of 12000-18000 mAh. Rechargable NiMH are 1.25V and the better batteries are in the 10000–12000 mAh range. Since capacity is the same or less, and voltage is significantly less, the boombox will die sooner on rechargeables. (Sources)

My vote is to leave the boombox at home. I know you don't want to hear my music, and I don't really want to hear yours either.

11. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well.. thanks for the vote, but considering I'll be at a music festival, I don't think the music will be a problem. =P

I already have one of these -[​IMG]
    for regular campgrounds & hotel rooms.