1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Powering electronics in the trunk/hatch of an '04 BC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by elitman, Jul 14, 2005.

1. elitman

elitman New Member

I have a wireless router and 3 watt 850/1900MHz booster I'd like to add to the bin beneath the floor in the trunk of my '04 Prius, and am looking for suggestions on the cleanest approach to powerng these devices.

Rather than wiring the devices directly to the car's power, I'd prefer to add a 12V outlet (or better still a Toyota OEM equivalent) to give me greater flexibility in swapping devices.

I don't have a wiring diagram of the car, but I read in another post that there's 12V available behind the right rear wheel. Is this easily identifiable? Would I be splicing into power being used for other items, or attaching to the endpoint of wires set aside for applications like mine?

Where and how would *you* add an outlet in the trunk?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The whole 12V battery is back there. It's not in the engine compartment, but is instead in the trunk area. There's a little access panel in the floor of the little alcove on the right side of the trunk (by the hatch). Just pull it up like you would for the storage compartment on the left side of the car, and you should see the battery.

3. elitman

elitman New Member

Ah, nifty.

So that leaves the other 2 questions:

1. Is there a Toyota OEM outlet I can install, and would it be worthwhile to try to track one down?
    2. Any suggestions on where/how to install one?

Thanks.

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know about a Toyota outlet, but since you want to put things in the under the floor bin, it seems like the Radio Shack one you mentioned would be just fine. I haven't tried it yet, but doesn't that under-the-floor bin lift out so you can get to the spare tire? If so, just cut a hole in the side of the bin and mount it there. That way it will be hidden and out of the way, just like the stuff you are trying to power.

One thing to be wary of, is that I've read that the 12V battery in the prius isn't very big, since it's not used to start the ICE. Therefore, you might need to carefull about how much power your devices draw if your devices are always going to be on.

Another thought would be to splice off the front outlet that is only on when the car is on. You could run the wires under the door sill trim and into the back.

There is a PDF file with fairly explicit instructions and pictures that show how to install an XM radio in a Prius. They mounted the receiver in the trunk, near the battery, and routed all the wires beneath the door sills and the back seats. You could follow the instructions for routing the cabling and get your power directly from the front switched outlet.

The PDF file can be found here:

https://www.metrotpn.com/documents/PDF%20Fi...ie's%20XMRadio%

5. CAPT Seabee

CAPT Seabee New Member

Another easy spot to pick up switched 12v is from the line that feeds the center console. I had that pulled up when I ran an XM antenna line to the console.

Regards....

6. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I grew up in Dan Quayle's hometown in Indiana. I am the only child of two only children, both of my parents are in their mid seventies. Their church just voted, nationally, to permit gay couples to marry in the church. Many of the church members in my small republican hometown are appalled. My parents both have publicly stated that they believe that gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry should they so choose. I moved away from that small town many many years ago, but I couldn't be more proud of my parents. :lol:

FYI, I'm straight, am in a great long term relationship, am not really interested in marriage for myself, and have many many gay and lesbian friends. What business is it of anyone else if they should want to marry? It in no way threatens anyone else's relationship. My sweet parents, married 47 years don't find it to be a threat.

Each and every gay and lesbian is someone's son, daughter, brother or sister...someone's loved one. They should be accorded the same respect and consideration as those of us who are heterosexual.

Climb down from your perceived cross, people.

7. elitman

elitman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o\";p=\"108161)</div>
    I'm confused. Are you suggesting that I take my Prius-related issues to Indiana to ask Dan Quayle for his input, or find someone gay or lesbian to set me straight in my desire to marry ubiquitous wireless access to my hybrid vehicle?

Oddly enough, your message brought this camp song to mind:

(Sung to Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever")

Be kind to your web footed friend,
    For a duck could be somebody’s mother

Who lives all alone in a swamp
    Where the weather is cold and damp

You may think that this is the end
    Well, it is, ‘because there is no other story

Be kind to your web footed friend

Because a duck,
    You know it could
    Be someone’s mother.

:)

Eric