1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Powering LEDs from vanity lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Doc Willie, May 22, 2008.

1. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am thinking of installing some LCARS panels behind the visors, on the roof liner, over where the vanity lights presently are. I would like to light the panels from behind with LEDs, like these. Would I be able to power these from the vanity light sockets?

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Er, if I understand correctly, you want to have some flat panels mounted around the car, each panel has some kind of printing on it and is lit evenly from behind? If this is the case I think you would do better to get some electroluminescent panels and have them printed with your design. You would always have the same color in the same spot though. There is probably a setup fee for the silk screening, you might go at this as a group buy, bring in some fellow fanciers, maybe push the unit price down a little.

If you went LED you'd either have to put them behind the panel, which makes it thicker and gives you bright and dim spots, or you'd have to experiment with getting a plexiglass panel and edge lighting it. This is more involved but would allow you to change colors. Both are dimmable and might be able to dim with the dash lights.

It is easy to run LEDs or EL off 12 volt DC, but if these are permanent I think you'd want them hard wired, not monopolizing the lighter outlets.

3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I will look into the electroluminescent panels. The power will be taken from the lights above the sun visor, not the lighter outlets. The lights would be covered by the panels, so it is the logical place.

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited