1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Powering up the prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by supra90, Oct 15, 2008.

1. supra90

supra90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I found a 2001 Prius for sale on ebay
    its been crash at front hard right side, the owner of the car got both new batteries and inverter replace at the dealer last year they look new, i was going to take them out but i have decide to try to repair this car.
    the damage is on the right side very close to the engine , the metal was pull radiators and fans are destroy and the rear right axle came of from the engine and the fuse box got a little damage but i can fix the 2 cables that are damage and replace the singe broken relay

also there is a dent on the top part of the inverter so i opened it and it was near the capacitor and there is no damage
    my question is this
    how can i prevent the big battery to die ?
    12 volt battery die at the towing company right now it is charging with fully regulated 3 amp power supply

what can i check before i power on the vehicle again, i just want to make sure the hybrid parts are ok
    and i don't want to waste a lot of money fixing it and later find something bad that will cost a lot,what i have to do after a car accident,i also found one air bag sensor wire cut but is been fix
    thank you for all your comments help

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On my 08 salvage car I let it sit for 2 months without being powered up (it may have been up to 3 months as I don't know how long it was sitting before I got it) and the traction battery was at 3/4 charge when I powered it up. I would imagine that it can sit for quiet a while with no problems. If worse comes to worse the traction battery can be charged externally, cell by cell, if need be. If I were working on it I would make my main priority to get the drive train up and running ASAP just to avoid any battery issues though.

3. supra90

supra90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    THANK YOU is only been 2 weeks
    I order the lower control arm and axle so i can drive it
    the car was most of the time on the freeway and the battery was 1/2 charge
    but when the accident happen the red triangle turn on so i am hopping it was the axle or airbags warning

4. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The red triangle was on on my car but it was because one of the wires that goes to the MG1 position sensors was cut. Here is something that may save you a buck a two: I had my airbag module reprogrammed for $55 at www.myairbags.com rather thy buying a new one for $$$.

5. supra90

supra90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    thank you, i was quote $140 for a used one