1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pray that people are not hurt by the fires? (LA and SD)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Oct 23, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm uterly disgusted!

The President comes on and declares a state of emergency and that we should pray.... Pray? &^%$ idiot! Stop praying and start spending money on proper maintenance instead of spending money chaotically (everytime we have a huge fire) and endangering lives and property you ignoramous!

I'm sorry to rant but this really has me in a fit. Part of what I study in ecology and environmental science is fire ecology and human nature. Our governmental systems rarely allocate enough funding to managing agencies for the proper maintenance of wildlands in regards to fires. Our wildlands have been allowed to grow out of control and far from their natural states for various reasons (lack of money, ingnorant management ideologies, extreme tree-huggers, expensive homes etc.). The general population does not want to spend tax money on managment and political institutions are like minded. They think it is simply too expensive. Instead we allow the fuel load to increase to such a point than when a fire inevitably occurs, it is uncontrollable and does much more damage to people, property, and ecosystems than it may have if the fuel load was kept low and closer to a natural state. Why do we do this? Is it a lack of education on the part of the populace? Is it simple greed? I don't get it. Maybe you can help me understand.

Even the Sierra Nevada range, near my home, is very far from natural. There are so many Douglas-fir that if a large fire did start in a dry year we would lose much of the vegetation and due to the high fuel loads, the recovery period would be very high. I can understand how most people would view more trees as being better but that is just not the case here. So how do we handle these kinds of situations? Is it simply an educational issue and we hope for a bottom up change to take place? Or do we wait for an informed government to step in and use a top down approach like Japan did?

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Oct 23 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]529549[/snapback]</div>
    Hard to say. Here in earthquake country (you aren't all that far away from it yourself) all the cities have adopted very strong earthquake building codes that add significant cost to any architectural project, yet I'm not aware of there ever being any significant resistance to their adoption. Virtually all the major damage today is sustained by pre-code structures (of which there are many, but some cities enforce earthquake retrofitting for municipal and other publicly accessed structures). Why our attitude regarding protection from earthquakes is sane, proactive and effective yet our attitude regarding protection from flood and fire is nearly 100% reactionary, with very little in the way of wild or wetlands management, is puzzling. The bafflement is compounded by the fact that both flood and fire occur with an annual/seasonal predictablility you could set a chronograph by, whereas earthquakes (of significant severity) are rare events separated by decades. Perhaps the difference is in the property focus: earthquake preparedness is the responsibility of individual structure owners, whereas flood and fire land management require oversight on a scale of several thousand square miles across municipal and county borders, making effective coordination and cooperation difficult, to say nothing of the problem of finding any party willing to take on the responsibility.

Yes, I know the Hayward Fault is a BIG problem, but it's a big problem only because so much of what's atop it was built before anyone knew it existed, and was built before cities got serious about their building codes. Meanwhile, we build entire housing tracts in delta floodplains behind crumbling 19th century levees, KNOWINGLY. Go figure.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know how you would "manage" the kind of desert scrub and arid lands that are burning in San Diego. You want to scrape them clean? Water them? Put up giant screens so the wind is diverted? Maybe we can make Mother Nature take out an Environmental Impact Report next time she wants to have the wind kick up. Or make everyone live in energy efficient high rises in urban centers and leave the scrub to the coyotes.

We have to change our "management" techniques every few years because we realize we're making things worse. Its about a 10 year cycle ... its nice that you are in school now and know everything, but in ten years some kid will come along and lecture you that you've been doing it wrong the last ten years, and call you an idiot. It won't be any use talking to him, because he will be studying the "latest" techniques in school.

Government doesn't do well with this kind of planning. It can kind of knock a ball in a certain direction, but it isn't ever going to be able to make that bank shot off the bumper on the left, knock the 8-ball against the 6 and sink it.

A call to prayer is a way to focus attention and tell people you care. I know it causes the 3% of the population who are atheists great distress, but for the rest of the people in the country, its a nice expression of concern and comfort. And we know that those who pray about a situation are more focused on it, and will donate more to relief efforts. We need that kind of expression more during the immediate situation than we do finger pointing and recriminations.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Oct 23 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]529549[/snapback]</div>
    Does his healthy forest policies(allowing loggers) to decrease fuel load makes sense then?

I'm as big as a bush hater as the next guy, but this isn't his fault. When 12 fires break out spontaneously in the same weekend under the worst conditions, me thinks there's some underhandedness going on.

As for praying. I'm assuming this is all part of god's plan.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing praying makes the people who can do nothing about the fires feel like they are doing something.
    Fire hazard can be reduced by annual or bi-annual back burning. Keeping a reasonable space around homes and ad campagns to get people to clean their gutters. Spark resistant home design like wire mesh in vents, sealed shutters on windows, independant water supplies like a petrol pump and a supply of fuel on hand to use swimming pool water for fire fighting, I have a friend who lives at the top of a gully, he has an automatic sprinkler system on the roof with huge water storage tanks.

It may not be possible to stop fires from happening but the danger they pose can be lessened. It isn't always the governments fault but they need to educate the population about fire prevention and safety. Strong winds and hot weather have happened before, there is no reason not to be ready. Our summer is just starting, we have already had ads telling people in fire prone areas to reduce fuel loads in their property, clear gutters, seal spark access points. make a fire action plan, plan to leave or plan to stay and fight because if you have no plan you are in grave danger. If you chose to stay and fight the fire but have nothing to fight the fire you place yourself in danger but if you then change your mind at the last minute the level of danger is much higher again.

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    What Patsparks said. Well put.

My 2 cents: Too many houses in too many questionable areas. Too few people realize fire is natural and normal for many areas. Some tree species have evolved to use fire to 'pop' open seeds...thus requiring fire to reproduce! Prescribed fire is the answer, not wholesale logging and stripping the land of the biggest, most fire-resistant trees. Uncontrolled development bad, fire good.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 23 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]529570[/snapback]</div>
    I like your knee-jerk reaction here but you are wrong. The basics of fire ecology are fairly simple yet our lifestyles are what make it difficult to implement those techniques. Yes, if people liked closer together in dense cities there would not be near the danger but western mentality has everyone putting multi-million dollar houses where they do not belong and then rely on insurance to fix their mistakes. Southern California deserts and chapparrel burn periodically. It is part of their natural history. So let them burn and in areas where that is not agreeable because of human infrastructure then allocate enough money to pay for mechanical thinning and disposal of the materials. I've spoken to my main professor (Bontanist/17yrs as a Park Ranger at Devil's Postpile), the Bontany professor (12yrs with U.S. Forest Service), and my friend who now works as a fireman for Parks and Req.. We talk about the history of fire supression and the current methods or lack of application of those methods. Jared Diamond gives a nice summary of this issue in his 2004 book "Collapse" as well. So rather than making excuseses for people/government, I'd rather bring the situation to the attention of people in the proper context (under normal circumstances, not during a rant like now). It is not my house that will burn yet I am still impacted by the lack of economic foresight exhibited by this administration both locally and country wide.

Japan is a good example of top down initiative so in some cases the government can indeed do a good job in this area.

Funny you purposely toss out a extremely small number for the percentage of atheist in the country. Even if the number were correct it is irrelevant. Unless you would like to make the connection between people who like to hope, wish, and pray for good things and those who would actually like to do something about their future....

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Oct 23 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]529549[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't a big part of the problem building houses in places where fires are historically very common. I liken it to having a house on the culf coast and wondeng why a hurricane destroys it, in North Dakota wondering why it gets buried in snow every now and then, or in death valley and wondering why it is always hot and never rains or in a flood plain and wondering why it floods. Simplification I know, but true?

i am not sure how the federal government is alwaysresponsible for all the disasters?

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's interesting to see the responses to this disaster. When the hurricane struck, there were threads comprised of posters espousing that it's the fault of the people that chose to move to an area known for hurricanes. Why does the event of a natural fire provoke a different tone - or does it boil down to class perception/issues?

The benefits (both ecological and economical) of controlled burns are widely documented. I'm certain that our understanding of this dynamic won't change much. Much as we don't seem to get that viable wetlands would've diminished the consequences of the hurricane, we don't seem to get that controlled burns would diminish the consequences of natural fire outbreaks. Why don't we perform controlled burns around homes in fire prone areas in order to diminish the intensity of the fire around such homes? This would probably be far less costly than the expenses faced by insurance companies currently.

I have to agree w/ F8L in that we mismanage these foreseen natural events. The mismanagement of fire control proved evident when the administration approved logging of our forests to prevent fire occurrences. The ecological and economical consequences of this will be significant - species loss, invasive species colonization, soil erosion. All of these have a significant economical consequence.

10. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Periodic wildland fire is an integral part of many healthy ecosystems, southern California included. Those people who chose to build "starter castles" in chaparral are in denial. Chaparral has to burn in order to reproduce. No rational person lives in an area with high fire potential and high fuel loads.

It is often said that "La Niña burns and El Niño churns." We are in a current La Niña event and large wildland fires are an expected event. There is no mystery here. This is not a "disaster" (an unexpected and unforeseen event).

A major problem is that those in denial and subject to reoccurring wildland fires expect others to pay for the control of fires, erosion, air quality and all the other impacts. Time is overdue to pay attention.

11. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Skruse...I agree.

In 2003, lots of fires. What did CA learn and improve?
    Especially the people.

Back then, more to the South in Mexico, there hardly was any fire activity.

In 2007, lots of fires. I don't see any improvement other than people responding to evacuation orders as they should be doing.

More to the South in Mexico....no puffs of smoke...

IOW, from my POV, it's most likely Americans in CA, with their lifestyle, has made a haven for these out of control fires to spread.
    Like the type of roofing shingles used.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wood shingles are forbidden. In fact, prior to the law outlawing cedar shingles some homes had them. The homeowners tried to get permission from the Homeowners association to change them and were DENIED. Their homes burned in the Cedar Fire. Needless to say, to avoid lawsuits those associations changed their bylaws really fast.

Part of the reason there is fuel to burn is that homeowners are not allowed to remove brush due to environmental protection laws. Not even weeds. Because they're NATIVE weeds.

A few years back we got excessive rains and everything grew. This year, not enough rain and everything dried out. How were we supposed to control the rain or lack thereof?

The Witch Creek fire was caused by Santa Ana winds whipping powerlines so badly they sparked and ignited the brush. The winds whipped the fire along. The winds were so strong aircraft were grounded so the fires had to be fought on the ground. What is your solution? Bury all of the powerlines and transformers? Get rid of them? That's not likely to happen.

What changed since the last time?

People were better prepared. They heeded evacuation warnings. They were calm. Communication was better. There was a reverse 911 system in place to call people to have them evacuate. That was lacking in 2003. That alone eliminated needless deaths. The authorities had better communications in place and a better organizational system. That got us help faster and it was used better. We had more and better equipment on hand. And help came faster and more efficiently.

I'm not sure exactly what your point is. We should all pack up and move out of Southern California? Not very practical. Where do you propose we go where there is no danger of fire? Or flood? Or Tornado? Or Hurricane?

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In south-eastern Australia power lines in fire prone areas are held apart with spacers which are attached to the power lines 2 or 3 evenly spaced out between the poles making contact impossible. This was a lot cheaper than repairing the damage of just 1 fire while it may prevent many fires. If power lines started these fires they are not a natural occurrence but caused by neglect. The wind has blown strongly there before hasn't it? So it is incumbent on utilities to allow for conditions that have occurred before, that’s why roads have drains under them even though they might be built in a period of no rain.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 24 2007, 07:28 PM) [snapback]529952[/snapback]</div>
    I don't remember if it was lines or a transformer or what. I'm sure our liines have whatever safety measure they should have. 45 mph winds. Maybe they blew a pole down. I don't know. I just heard one was a result of winds and electrical lines.

I did hear today that two fires were set by an arsonist who was shot while caught in the act of lighting a third fire.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 24 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]529930[/snapback]</div>
    I've already stated what I think should be done. 1# Stop building in marginal areas. #2 Allocate enough funding to manage these areas properly. #3 Stop making excuses and do something proactive instead of reactive.

You are making excuses in this post. There is something that can be done but you assume it is not practical. Life is not always practical and as our economy drops I'm sure we will find that building expensive houses in the middle of fire prone areas is a bad idea because insurance will no longer be available or will be very cost prohibitive. When people have to stop relying on others to fix their mistakes they will be more cautious.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 24 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]529930[/snapback]</div>
    Since clearning around a house is fairly small in scale I doubt that is having a huge impact on the total amount of fuel available for the fire. I do see this as being problematic for the home though. In any case I'd like to see documented cases where people were denied the ability to create a fire break around their home due to native plant species. I've never heard of that in Norcal's Chaparral areas but I may be wrong.

16. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. Stop building. Right. Like that's gonna happen.

2. More funding. Right. Like that's gonna happen.

3. See number's 1 & 2.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 25 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]530380[/snapback]</div>
    Just shows you how ignorant and in denial Americans are..... Other high income countries are making the changes yet like many other issues, we remain stagnant. Like Jerad Diamond stated in "Collapse"; an important factor in a civilizations long term stability is it's attitude toward change and if it can re-evaluate it's beliefs and cultural norms in the face of environmental change. If it holds on stubornly to antiquated values that once helped them, but now hinder them, they very often face a break down of society and collapse. Shall we go back through history and count the ones that failed to change?

If these kinds of attitudes keep up I could see a split in our future. I mean if we ever make it that far into the future. I would rather not be lumped into the same pile as those who would chose to be ignorant and destructive in the face of compelling evidence. There is no reason why I should have to pay for their folly.Yet another reason to live by bioregions instead of political borders.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It has nothing to do with attitude, ignorance or denial of "American public".

Houses are built in marginal areas because it's CHEAP. For some people they live with a long commute from an outlying area because it is the only way they can afford to be homeowners.

I'm not the only one against runaway development. If I had had my way there wouldn't be the urban sprawl or the density San Diego City and County have. (That would take care of the freeways problems too.) But developers have money and their candidates get elected (and vote their way) and the votes on public intiatives go their way because they have the money to advertise ballot initiatives their way. There are plenty of advances in building that are darn hard to implement because you're fighting local (antiquated) building codes. The average person can't get those kind of laws changed. And the average person doesn't have the money to fight that sort of thing. Because it costs plenty of money to get exemptions, special permits, and go through the process several times in rotation because of some bureaucrat somewhere that is still using sticks and club. I looked into underground housing when I was in high school. At the time, not permitted in my county. Metal studs? They're still using wood here. Prefab? Around there it's still stick construction. And it goes on and on. I see stuff on HGTV and I can't get it. Twenty years and I'm finally going to get a tankless water heater. How long have they been using them in Europe?

Goverment, be it Federal, State or Local doesn't have enough money to manage the land properly and do healthy clearing to maintain a healthy ecosystem. We can't even afford healthcare for our children. (But we can apparently afford TRILLIONS of dollars for a pointless war. Who did you vote for again?)

I'd also like people to be able to clear brush beyond their property since they can't count on the government to do it. Unfortunately that means intruding on public land and open space. Environmentalists don't want that touched. In fact it is against the law. In fact it's against the law whether you clear it or not. After the Cedar fire of 2003 a woman was on the news with two letters. Both from two different departments of the government. One said she had to clear her property or face a fine. The other stated if she cleared her property, she would face a fine. Huh? Clearing only your property isn't very effective when you've got public brush right up to your property line. Can people do more? Sure. But some people have done everything possible and still lost everything. People do what they can. The government isn't doing it's part to ensure that public lands pose no threat to private property that abutts it.

If I lived in those areas I'd have a tile roof, stucco house and iceplant surrounding my property. I'd have a sprinkler system both inside and out. But sometimes that's not enough.

Do you have drapes on your windows? That's how the fires get in. The heat explodes the windows and the drapes catch on fire.

Of course, in a fire like this, it is pretty much impossible to protect your house from fire no matter how wide a clearance there is. Trees explode, embers are shooting up in the air and carried by winds and dropping down and finding something to burn.

Bottom line: Easy for you to say. Looks like So. Cal isn't the only place full of hot air.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 25 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]530569[/snapback]</div>

Your reply was well thought out up until the last part. *sigh*

You give a ton of excuses yet again. So are you saying that we should do nothing and just cry and lament and pray when bad things happen to us again? That is so weak. People do have power, even if they do not have large sums of money. If you do not have a strong enough push monetarily then you make up for it in shear numbers. So i stand by my comment of ignorance and apathy. If people truely wanted to see a difference then you would see them acting. I see the very thing happening in my area and I take part in it. I intern with a reputable Land Trust Organization and I work with the Open Space divisions of Roseville and Loomis. As for housing being cheap as the main reason for people moving into marginal areas, I find it interesting that these are the same people who are running around with 2-3 cars per family and over $800/mo in car payments not including insurance. I don't know about your area but nearly all of the people in my area that buy these types of houses are driving Tahoes on 22's, Lexus, or Ford F350s with 22s lifted and toying a Ski Natique or a couple Sea Doos. Yup, these guys are suffering.

If all you are going to do is make excusses for people instead of coming up with alternative actions that can help reduce the effects of these natural "disasters" then I would be careful who you describing as "full of hot air". :eek:

BTW, I live in grasslands adjacent to chaparrel and part of my internship is coordinating a prescribed burn next spring. Hot air indeed. LOL