1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Praying to end abortion' return address stickers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Pinto Girl, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I just received a birthday card from a friend (it's my 7th annual 37th birthday on Sunday). It was a lovely card, filled with sentiments like, "if you have your faith, like me, my husband, and our three children, then it's easy to be happy..." and so on, and I did enjoy catching up with what she and her family have been up to lately.

But, affixed to the envelope was a return address sticker that said, "pray to end abortion" on it.

This got me thinking. At first, I felt like a reactionary, to even consider giving this a second thought. But then I found myself wondering, say that another message was substituted...a pro abortion message for example.

Or something else, like urging the receipient to support anti-immigration legislation...

Or how about something even more reactionary, like an image of Bush and Hitler side by side...

At what point does this sort of expression cross the line? Is it even an issue? And why does everybody feel the need to express themselves in this way in the first place? Personally, I don't think it's about me at all...it's all about her and her need to let us all know where she stands.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Perhaps a return prayer that adequate birth control and education on using it be made available to everyone such that the need for abortions is ended?

3. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I'd say it was an inappropriate venue for her to express any political opinion.

I've always considered it "iffy" for people to even send heavily religious greeting cards to begin with (yes, even Christmas holiday cards). But sending something like that is just not cool.

I'm hard headed enough that I'd probably make a point of sending a card to her with a "pro abortion" return address label. But I'm guessing you could then cross that person off your list for future cards.

Vince

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. man, i think my brain is short circuited from all the analytical stuff i had to do today :blink: because i could not for the life of me come up with a good way to express this. here's my best shot.

i think anything that has to do with so-called religious values (and as we can see, that message was clearly religious) is pushed upon the general public mainly because the people who ascribe to certain beliefs feel that it's okay to do so... because it's for what they consider to be the greater good.

kinda delusional but well meaning i suppose.

as for my reaction, i'd have to ponder if my eyes could roll far enough back into my head. but that's just me. and knowing my mother, the next time i get something from her (probably christmas) it'll have something similar on the envelope...

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

My best friend from Jr. High recently reconnected with me through email. I'm now on her distribution list for email pass-it-on crap which mostly consists of religious and conservative propaganda. More than once I've started a reply-to-all message with similarly liberal content, but stopped myself. What good would it do?

You know those fish emblems people put on their cars? And then people started putting "Darwin" in the fish? Recently I've started seeing the FSM emblem. Now that's funny.

I put out a "Kerry Edwards" sign in my lawn before the 2004 election. My b/f said that was a stupid thing to do; just setting myself up as a target for anybody who opposes.

I don't know. It doesn't change my mind on issues when people do things like that, so I don't suppose I'm changing anyone else's when I do it.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As much as I dislike people trying to push their religious agenda into legislation, I think that religious and/or political return address stickers are in the same category as bumper stickers and t-shirts. It's a way to make a public statement about your belief. And while I am offended by people who try to legislate their religion onto the rest of us, I find nothing offensive in someone asking their friends to pray to end abortion. Abortion is a last resort for those who resort to it, and ending the need for it would be good for everyone. Prayer, like wishing, does neither good nor harm to anyone. My response to your friend is: pray on, and may it give you peace of mind.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 15 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]349796[/snapback]</div>
    I have a friend who's got a Christian fish and a Darwin fish head-to-head on her car, and above them, an FSM emblem. As you may guess, my friend is a mainstream liberal Christian who believes in evolution and has a sense of humor.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For some strange reason I get the idea writing 'God is a delusion' on your thank you letter wouldn't be well received. Why not? It's just another statement of faith, isn't it?

Hey, Pinto Girl: Happy birthday, btw! :) 37 again? :rolleyes:

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, what i meant to say is- thinking your values are for the greater good and therefore ok to shove down other people's throats is delusional.

although i'd like to be a fly on the wall when that thank you card is received :p :lol:

9. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 15 2006, 03:57 PM) [snapback]349838[/snapback]</div>
    Neither do I find it offensive, but it's irritating because I know from whence the statement is coming from...religion. It's just another example of people trying to push their religion on others. An in-kind response is the type of thing that lets religious zealots know that there are people on the other side of these issues who push back. This, indirectly, can perhaps help to dissuade said individual from pushing her religion in the future.

Not that I expect Pinto Girl to do that. She comes across as being way too nice for that kind of thing.

BTW, I also bid you Happy 37th, Pinto :D

Vince

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Personally, I am offended by those using religious phrases on eBay auctions. In appropriate doesn't begin to cover it. It's almost like they're using Jesus as some magic blessing that they'll make lots of money on their auction. They may not be their intent (or maybe it is) but I am just offended by people using their religion in conjunction with making money. Do you think you're going to convert people buying your stuff? Is it even appropriate to use an eBay auction to proselytize?

God is not a lucky charm.

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and their religious fevor. But they have no right to foist them upon others.

Yes, I think the return label is inappropriate. I think the card itself is in poor taste unless the sender know for a fact that you share their personal religious beliefs.

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, after reading your responses and thinking about this some more, I'm wondering if perhaps I overreacted...?

I can't lie, there is always this tone to her correspondence which comes off as faintly pious, and she's always been so prim and proper and so comfortable conforming to everyone's desires (and receiving lots of praise for doing so); I, on the other hand, have (as you're probably aware) found conformity consistently elusive.

Perhaps this has something to do with my feelings...her seemingly perfect life (tho' I know it isn't always) does get under my skin a bit, or should I say, the way she takes such comfort in furthering the illusion that it *is* perfect.

It's funny, my closest friendships usually come about as a result of our revealing weaknesses, not strengths. So it's a little difficult for me to be as sympathetic to her as I'd like, since everything with them is almost always so incredibly perfect.

I do think that messages like the anti-abortion one on her return address label are best kept to ourselves. I mean, has anyone ever looked at one of these and thought to themselves, "gee, I never thought about this 'till now...but by gosh, they're right!"? Prob'ly not, I'd guess.

So, on that level, I suppose it is more about letting everyone else know where she stands...and that, to me, seems really selfish.

But, I know too that it's not just the religious issue that's bothered me, but that it's coming from her specifically. Which indicates to me that maybe I've got a few of my own issues to work through.

Her letters do tend to push my buttons, for sure...ever since we were young, she's always come across as this authority figure whose authority comes from God or some higher power...and seems unwilling to confront some of Life's questions on her own terms.

I just don't know.

I *do* want to push back in some way, but I also feel like, what's the use...she's who she is and her beliefs are part of that person who is my friend...but, darn it, just once I'd like to hear what she thinks about the issues, instead of falling back on what she's 'supposed' to think.

Oh, and thanks all for the b'day wishes!
    [smile]

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I say, let 'en crash.

Of course, that has nothing to do with this, but man, it's fun to say.

She sounds like Bree on DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

You know, I'm pro choice. And yet, I'm a preacher. Who am I to tell someone how to live their life? So I would never put a sticker like that on any mail.

That having been said, I do use stamps that have cars on them. I hope I am not pushing my love of cars on anyone...

13. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I strongly agree that abortion is the last resort and I am firmly pro choice, pro birth control and pro accurate information and access to all family planning services for teens as well as adults.

If a friend sent that to me without a nanosecond of hesitation I would send it back Return to Sender with a note on the outside of it. My friends, even those who are conservative and anti choice, have enough respect for me not to send something like that. Likewise, out of respect, I would never consider sending them something like that pushing my agenda.

14. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 15 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]349733[/snapback]</div>
    Can't you just do something subtle in a return <strike>Christ</strike>mas card? Ooops... Holiday greeting...

Here are some suggestions, I think they are catchy.

50 million dead babies and 50 million more to go...

or..

Have you aborted your baby lately? (a swing off the popular Ford lingo)

I think she'll enjoy seeing your perspective, and maybe the mail man and any other handlers on the way can also be encouraged in support of killing defenseless babies. I think right now, most people get a little queezy about the whole baby killing thing, but with enough education, they can get used to it. Soon enough it can be just like lighting a cigarette, no big deal.

15. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I, like most pro-choice people, am naturally pro life. If you're living, who isn't? Like the neocons of last month, I am finding my born again friends are getting a little shrill in their proselytizing. They see the end is near for their false sense of dominance in the public discourse. I value my religious friends as much as any other, but they know not to try to convert or preach to me. Still, I make it a point to ask what this week's sermon was about, and I enjoy engaging them in calm but pointed discussions. I know a letter from me using a pro-choice sticker would not go over well and would not think of antagonizing 'christian' friends so would not target such. I believe my friends respect me enough not to pull that stuff on me.

16. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Nov 16 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]350187[/snapback]</div>
    It's hard to argue that anyone who performs 2 or 3 partial birth abortions a week as pro-life.

17. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 16 2006, 01:19 PM) [snapback]350192[/snapback]</div>
    It's hard to argue that anyone who advocates violence such as you is pro-life. If you had your way, you'd send all the babies that weren't aborted to Palestine where your heat seeking missiles would blow them up as young adults. This is only one example of how your hypocrisy reigns supreme. Never mind the innocents that may be killed as they were simply taking a stroll. I'm sure they received the warning pamphlets that you threw over the wall informing them they'd be blow to bits should they approach too closely. No worries, eh? You'll walk with a clean conscience.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov, 12:19 PM) [snapback]350192[/snapback]</div>
    Why not? Partial birth abortions are only performed when it is necessary to save the life of the mother.

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    'Kay, thinking about this some more...

I guess I find myself thinking, say I sent her family a Christmas card with a return address label that said, "keep your laws off my body" or something like that...well, I suspect that she'd pro'bly not be quite as receptive to my card as she would have been otherwise...right...?

And, instead of her comment inside about "...having her faith and her family, so how could she not be happy..." say I wrote something like "I continue to find personal fulfillment in the realization that, in the scheme of it all, I'm simply not that important as an individual, and -- relationship-wise, I'm currently dating men..." What, then, might have been the reaction on her end of the communication?

I feel like she knows about who I am...what could possibly be the purpose of sending off such sentiments? I think it does, after all, strike me as perhaps a bit insensitive.

20. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Pinto, send her a reply 'disclosing' that you have a new life. You have moved to SF, had an abortion, became a lesbian, learned how to think for yourself, and how glad you are that your life has taken a turn for the better and how you hope her stagnant life leads her to as much happiness as you have found amongst the leftist pansies. Let her know how exciting it is to be on the cutting edge of the US social experiment, and how much more fulfilling it is to lead rather than follow mindlessly. Close by letting her know how much you love her as a friend, look forward to her visiting you sometime soon, and how much you two really have in common irregardless of her religious beliefs. This'll rattle her smug cage, and offer her insight into your 'real' world of independence, interdependence and lack of dependence on someone else for your happiness and daily guidance. In short, let her know how happy you are that you grew up and relish each day for the opportunities presented for personal growth. Oh, and be sure to wish her the same good fortune that has been bestowed upon you.