1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre-collision _warning_ system experiences

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Harold Bien, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Harold Bien

Harold Bien Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm looking into purchasing a Prius V w/AT mostly for the PCS/LKA features. I was able to test drive one, but not able to "test" the PCS. What I'd like to know is: 1) How much reaction time do you have before you potentially "strike" another object w/PCS (warning)? I'm not interested in finding out how well the system works to _mitigate_ damage, only in the alert warning of an impending collision. 2) Have nuisance alarms been an issue? I've read the owner's manual over at the dealer and it indicates that there are 3 components to PCS: 1) [What I'd term active safety] - retract seat-belts, etc. Occurs at vehicle speeds >18mph and approaching an object >18mph. 2) [What I'd term collision mitigation] - Brake "boost". Occurs at vehicle speeds >18mph, approaching >18mph, AND brake engaged. 3) [What I'd term collision warning] - visual message, audible tone when collision "high likely" (as per manual), active only at speeds >9mph and approaching >9mph. Clearly, I'm less interested (but still very interested) in learning about the experiences of using systems 1+2 (as they probably indicate a collision has taken place). I'm most interested in system #3. This would be the primary reason for me to purchase a new car (and a Prius V/AT at that, given my budget) so if it's not really functionally as advertised, i.e. at 9mph the vehicle is already too fast/insufficient warning time to react, then I'd rather keep my existing VW Golf w/all the airbags. So - how 'bout it? Anyone w/stories to share regarding PCS warning?

2. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the V with the ATP, I have used the Cruise Control with the DRC Radar, and the LKA (Lane Keeper Assist), I hope to NEVER have any experience with the PCS system, as it pretty much only goes off IF AN IMPENDING UNAVOIDABLE ACCIDENT is about to occur. Notice the wording, you pretty much can't do anything about it. The Cruise Controler with DRC active will follow a car, and speed up and slow down as needed, keeping a nice following distance, if someone cuts in front of you, it will attempt to react in time, but it may not be able to.... I have had this happen once or twice already (picked up the car on Saturday), but I just hit the brakes and slow down, taking the system out of cruise control... I really don't want to experience the PCS system working, thank you :)

Mitch

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have ~1 month/1500 miles in the left seat. The LKA & RCC work pretty much as advertized. Toyota lists a number of circumstancces where the systems are unavailable. In yesterday's rain LKA wouldn't lock on (as noted).

The RCC does a good job maintaining speed & distance for formation flying. I've found its braking to be too aggressive when the target is braking for a turn or stopping for a traffic light. I prefer a more gradual speed reduction and a glide to the light. The RCC will keep the speed up & apply the brakes harder.

I too am not going to ask someone to help test the limits of PCS. The only things missing are the NAV lady saying "Brace for impact" and the whoop! of the klaxon. However, based on my experiences with LKA & RCC I'll believe Toyota's documentation of PCS is accurate. Will it help reduce damage & injury? IMO, yes. Will it save your nice person? No.

I have not experienced any nuisance alarms with these systems.

This page contains many alarms:

http://policeinterceptor.com/navysounds.htm

4. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I pretty much regularly use RCC in the last couple of months (after the initial 3000 or so miles). I find that it works well. A few times I think the PCS system also activated. This is what happens. I am cruising along in RCC mode, then the car in front brakes rapidly, or someone cuts into my lane. The car starts beeping loudly with a message flashing on the MID (I think it says "Brake" or something to that effect). But I never felt the seat belts tensioning, I wonder if that aspect is not working? - can someone clarify?
    I think PCS is always on, even without RCC. However I have not had an occasion to see the same drama as described above in non-cruise mode.

5. Lewie

Lewie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I actually had my PCS actuate last week. It was freeway traffic going about 20-MPH, dry pavement, at night. Cruise control was off. I was distracted for a moment and didn't notice the car in front of me stopping. I noticed the impending fender bender at about the same instant that the PCS went off. The MFD said something (maybe BRAKE), the large yellow triangular symbol with a "!" appeared, and there was a rapid and loud beeping. I applied the brakes and was able to slow down without the ABS coming on and without making contact with the car in front. I "think" I would have stopped in time without the PCS in this case, but it was gratifying to see it in operation. I didn't notice any changes in the brake system or the seat belt retractors. Maybe that comes later?

I have never in about 4,000 miles of rush-hour commuting had a false PCS alarm. I can see the LKA system being beneficial on long trips, but not really needed in traffic. It picks up the lane markings fairly well, but here in California the freeways are cement-paved and don't have quite the contrast ratio that white lines on black pavement would exhibit. The Radar Cruise Control is really cool and I use it a lot. It doesn't trigger on adjacent traffic, seems to track through curves, and uses doppler radar for relative speed sensing. It doesn't actuate in heavy rain.

1 person likes this.
  6. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very true!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't tell ya since I never have (and hope I never will) activate PCS. However, I have activated the PCS warning in conjunction with the DRCC.

The first warning with radar cruise is that the screen will blink the car ahead of you as well as sound a panic alarm.

The second more serious warning is the screen will blink "BRAKE!" as well as sound the panic alarm. If you touch the brake pedal oh so slightly at this point, (assuming you lift off the accelerator pedal quite quickly), full braking will be applied. I was attempting to brake normally when that BRAKE! warning came on (still had a good enough distance to stop firmly but smoothly so I thought) but because the warning was activated, the car engaged full ABS and Brake Assist and I stopped quite a bit short from the car in front. (this was in the summer with a dry road)

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This post has an actual video of people in my car reacting to the sudden tensioning of the seatbelts after a car merged in front of us on the freeway:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...cial-2010-prius-owners-pics-8.html#post869081

The brakes were definitely primed by the system, because I barely touched them in this case and got a very strong braking reaction. Be it bad driving or too much playing around when I was showing off the car to folks, I've experienced this 3 times now. Another time was approaching a lane divider too fast and too close coming off an exit ramp (waiting for an opening in the adjacent lane). PCS and the radar cruise seem worth the admittedly high price to me.

1 person likes this.
  9. Harold Bien

Harold Bien Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ah, thanks, Lewie - your story is exactly the kind of experience I'm soliciting. Unfortunately, since you indicated that you noticed the impending fender bender at about the same time as the alert, it's hard to tell if, had you not been so aware, whether you would've been able to stop in time when the alert goes off. I'd think it would take a few fractions of a second at least to realize that the alert is going off, analyze the sight picture and come to the decision to apply the brakes. My concern is...at 9mph (and unknown distance when PCS alert activates - note again this the the "PCS Brake System" they advertise which should always be on, but does not engage seatbelts or pre-braking unless additional criteria are met)..would the "typical" person have sufficient time to _prevent_ a collision? And if not, then I'd be inclined to ask the dealer to see if there is an adjustment possible (in software) to the minimum distance before the alert triggers. Once again, the most common scenario is exactly as you described - you get distracted/fatigued, fail to notice car in front of you has stopped or slowed suddenly, and now you're approaching him at a high rate of closure. The aural alert in this case should serve to bring this to you attention, but should do so in a timely fashion so that you can integrate what your eyes are seeing and decide to jam on the brakes. Otherwise, the PCS is more aptly described as indicated in an earlier post as a "brace for impact warning" versus a "Look out!" warning. Short of a simulation, difficult to test this unless one had soft rubber foam targets to ram against (hmm..garbage cans come to mind in a large open parking lot) in case you fail to stop in time.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Best simulation I can think of is foam (e.g. pool noodles) and wrap them in aluminium foil to simulate a metal object. The system should pick it up. (In the test video done in Japan, they just used a large foam tube with no wraps and the LS' radar detected it.

11. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Driving today in heavy traffic. My Cruise and LKA were off. I thought that disabled the radar. I was wrong!! I was trying to merge to a left lane and was looking over my shoulder. The car started beeping like crazy and I looked forward. I quickly hit the brakes. The car saved me from rear ending the vehicle in front of me. Im not sure if the vehicle would of braked itself if I didnt react on time.

12. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I understand, the vehicle will only brake itself when the crash is definitely going to happen and you haven't applied the brakes yourself. It is supposed to slow the car down to under the 5 mph bumpers. So if you don't hit the brakes, you WILL hit the car in front of you, but it will be a very slight impact.

This is one system that I would prefer to hear about from Toyota rather than experience myself.

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    13K miles, no false activations or alarms from the PCS. As others have said DRCC and LKA work great. The Advanced Technology Package is a worthwhile option for those systems.

I never use the IPA to park the car but I have used it to impress my friends a time or two. ;)

14. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Picked up a 2010 V with AT last night and on my first commute to work I had what Tideland described earlier.

I was in the fast lane of a three lane highway, DRCC & LKA engaged and traveling at about 75MPH. A Semi was in the slow lane and changed to the center lane. It was not in front of me at any time and yet the car suddenly beeped like a spaz (not the LKA beep). The screen flickered but I did not see what it was displaying as I immediately checked all visual quadrants. I had my foot hovering over the brake but did not press it, so I don't know if it would have assisted or not.

I was very much on the fence about the AT package before purchase but am now very happy I got it, though I do wonder what would happen if the steering assist or brake assist malfunctioned badly.

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I suspect they are as close to "fail safe" as they can be. If they malfunction they will just turn themselves off, give you a warning message, and you will be no worse off than if you didn't have them.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PCS is always on above 9 or 15mph, depending on the PCS feature. (Some activate at 9mph, some at 15mph).

If the semi moved into your lane, DRCC will automatically brake to match its speed