1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(Pre-Noob) What to know before buying a Plug-In Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by theschles, Sep 16, 2012.

1. theschles

theschles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi all,

We're considering buying a Plug-In Prius for one simple reason: driving in the HOV lane in California with just the solo driver. (yes, we know the sticker is only good until Jan 1, 2015)

Never owned a Prius previously -- and I've only driven a Prius once (rental).

We're going to try to avoid negotiating with dealers by using Costco's Auto Buying Program. Also, we're going to take advantage of the 0% financing for 60 months offer (so we've got until the end of September 2012 to figure this out) -- and we're going to grab onto the charging station installed for $1000 flat via Leviton (thanks to the person who posted that link).

We know that we'll get a $2500 federal tax credit and a $1500 CA Air Resources Board rebate. We know we need to file for the HOV stickers ASAP. We know to make sure the dealer doesn't sneakily sell us a used car while calling it 'new'.

We're considering the advanced model for one single reason -- the dynamic radar cruise control (as a safety feature). Does that feature actually work as expected (or near to as expected)?

Are there any must-have accessories that should be purchased through the dealer?

Are there any accessories one should NOT purchase through the dealer?

Suggestions would be great so we can make sure to get the best bang for buck while not being taken for a ride.

Thanks in advanced...

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am going to post my "who should not own a Prius" link, just to be sure you do not need a feature it fails at.
    considering a Prius | PriusChat
    It is based on Gen 2 ownership, but also seems to apply to my v.
    I never felt I got any value from the extended warranty, it covered nothing.

theschles likes this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not only does it work, it's even better than I expected.

You get the expected automatic slow down when approaching some one not going as fast. Like when they slow to exit, the car will slow accordingly then speed up automatically after they depart. It works when someone abruptly cuts you off too, braking and triggering a visual & audio alarm. All that works well. I like the 3 distances you can set the system to as well.

What surprised me was to discover the radar is always running for safety, even when you aren't using cruise.

The system will detect & alarm when it sees a vehicle and you have neither lifted your foot off the accelerator or pressed the brake. That happened to me a few weeks back on a 40 mph road, which I was obviously not using the cruise on. There was a vehicle making a left turn in my lane. Approaching that car, I didn't do anything... since we were the only vehicles on that 4-lane road. If for some reason it failed to turn in time, I would simply drive around. Well, the car didn't know of my awareness. So next thing I know, there's a big ! with a car on the display and a danger alarm sounding. I didn't realize that would happen. It was pretty sweet.

theschles likes this.
  4. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unless Leviton has recently changed their pricing, installation starts at $999 and doesn't include permits, fees or
    taxes. Shop around, you may find better pricing and more capable units for cheaper.