1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

pre-owned vehicle service history - concern

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by buster71, Aug 7, 2013.

1. buster71

buster71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How concerned would you be if you saw the following listing in a 2010 prius's vehicle service history? Car presently has approx 19000 miles, and this service was done at approx 10k miles

CUSTOMER REQUESTS ENGINE DIAGNOS IS CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM. ~|~P0C73-COOLANT PUMP PERFORMANC E.FOUND NO COOLANT IN INVERTOR R ESERVIOR,FOUND INVERTOR RADITOR LEAKING ~|~R&R INVERTOR RADATIOR

PARTSNAMEPART #QTYRADIATOR ASSYTOG9010470311SUPER LONG LIFE CTO00272SLLC22

2. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good catch. Find another car.

3. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Run; just don't walk away!

5. buster71

buster71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Too late. The car is already mine. I found this afterwards when I registered in the Toyota owners website.

Well, car has seen about 1200 miles since purchased 3 1/2 weeks ago, and everything has been fine so far. Hopefully the car was repaired correctly and won't give me problems. It is the chance you take when buying pre-owned.

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Oh well. Hopefully, Toyota's systems are all well-designed to put up those errors and go into limp mode well before any long-term damage is done.

And even if there is any long term damage, it can often be pretty insignificant. I once worked somewhere and we told manufacturing to build the electronics but not turn them on, because the cooling system was not yet finalized (or sufficient). Well, they apparently missed that direction, so I ended up spending some time figuring out exactly how much the electronics overheated by, and passed that information along to our reliability engineer. He crunched some numbers, and estimated that it only took like 2 weeks out of the total lifetime of the electronics - which, considering we expected it to probably last for 5-10 years, is basically nothing. Your car is designed to last even longer than that, and actually has some thermal protection systems built-in. :)

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The rule of thumb is for every 10C rise in Tj the relative life of the semiconductor is cut in half. The inverter normally operates around 88C when it is happy and working under normal conditions. The Prius will throw a code and say the car is doomed when the temperature rises above 111C. If the car was perfectly fine and then bam all the coolant leaked out and the temp rose to 111C for an hour (not probable, but just an example) then instead of taking 1 hour of life off of the inverter you took 4.6hours off of the life of the inverter in that 1 hour of real time. In a car that will run for decades, this is nothing. If this was something that the owner knew about and taped over the warning light to not be bothered and drove on it for a year, that could be a serious consequence of 4 and a half years cut off the life of the car. Doubtful that happened in the 10K miles before they brought it in.

8. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It said the reservoir was empty. Not that the system was empty :eek:

Considering it has an 8 yr 100K warranty, it's not really something to worry about at this point.
    Just make sure and trade it back to the dealer before the warranty expires :ROFLMAO:

9. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Probably no big deal if the car was not driven with no coolant at all for a long distance. even less of a worry if it was cool weather conditions at the time. With 19,000 miles you should still have warranty?

10. buster71

buster71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    3 year 36,000 basic warranty is expired, but I still have the remainder of the 5 yr/60,000 powertrain and the 10 yr. 150,000 on the hybrid system.

Anyway, there is nothing I can do about it now so I will just enjoy the car and take things as they go. A further problem may never pop up.

11. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

That's best.Just enjoy it.

12. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be very concerned about the technician's spelling. ;)

13. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Well spotted!:)