1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre Purchase Inspection

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by daisy555, Jul 12, 2023.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In what ways do you inspect your new car before paying for it?

TGrracie and mountaineer like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    test drive, radio off, listen for odd sounds, check mpg's, look over the paint work and interior. if it's a plug in, charge it up and so how far it goes. make sure you get 2 fobs, charging cable, etc.

3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you do if there is an issue…parts can be replaced but paint surface issue or interior cosmetic issue? I’m only thinking of this because I sat in a 2023 that had Softex that was bunched up on a very visible area of the seat. I’m hoping some perfectionists were working on my car. : ) There are two identical cars arriving at the same time and of course both are sale pending.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything can be repaired, all you can do is ask. with demand the way it is, they will weigh the cost unless toyota will cover it.
    when we bought our hycam, they had to touch up the paint under the drivers door pull. fingernail scratches. after you own it awhile, it all becomes unimportant

daisy555 likes this.
  5. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would check everything that's not covered under warranty, especially interior and exterior damages. When I bought my last car, I thought I'd checked everything and signed the 'takeover protocol'. A minute later, I noticed some sort of internal 'chip' in the windshield near the sensor field. It was probably a production issue. Fortunately, the dealer added it to the protocol, so I was able to get it fixed for free at the inspection one year later. Otherwise, I guess there would've been no chance..

EDIT: In this case the car was paid for already - it was just the official pick-up.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Check the tire pressure. The tires are supposed to be inflated very hard for transit. The dealer is supposed to reduce the pressure to normal driving levels as marked in the driver's door jamb but many of them skip it. And once you've caught them skipping one detail, you can drag them through the rest of the car. Don't be in a rush.

A clean transaction and handover should take 45 minutes, but everyone screws this up so plan 3-4 hours instead.

Bring a contrast card so you can look at the paint. We found that our dealer was ready to sign off on our new Prius with two dings in each of the four doors, and we roasted them on it.

[​IMG]

Just print this out really big. Hold it near the car in good light. Look at its reflection in the car's paint. This helps you see imperfections.

ETC(SS), mountaineer and AndersOne like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sadly, they're currently only giving one fob, due to chip shortage. At least for the interim. Make sure all the books are in the glove box too. How many is it now, 3 or 4? Off the top of my head:

Owner's Manual
    Warranty and Maintenance Guide
    Infotainment Manual (Not sure of name.) (I think this is a separate text?)
    Quick Start Guide

^ Second this.

Check the spare tire pressure too..., oh wait a sec, never mind that.

There's another thing that often get's missed: there's two oblong holes on the underbody, just inboard of the rear jacking points, and dealership is supposed to install rubber seals on them. I believe they're put in the glove box at factory.

One other thing: when we picked up our "new" car (3rd gen, purchased in 2010), it had apparently been languishing on their lot for 15 months, at least it was 15 months past the build date (as I noticed later). And the 12 volt battery was dead as a doornail. They had it running when we showed up for a test drive, explained it was to "warm it up" for us. :rolleyes:

But yeah, in today's market, precious little chance you'll have a dead battery issue, lol.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Jul 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  8. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Any promises made - GET IT IN WRITING, on the sales contract. They don't remember promises, so make them put it in the sales contract. There's no denying that - especially that second key fob.

9. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    When I cleaned my glove box out prior to dropping my car off at the dealership, there was a package with two rubber plugs in it. 3.5 yrs... :oops:

daisy555, Tom_06 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I will be testing out a few of these, as I was promised the second key fob and manuals to be sent in mail. I did not get it in writing, just had to jump on the car deal. Hope I still get these, it's been about a week now. Worse case, I guess I'll have to buy a second key fob. I think the point above about how long the car has been on the lot is important. Maybe not in this market, but I would not want a car that has been on the lot for over 12 months. Mileage may be important too, but I think anything less than 200 is probably ok.

daisy555 likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why don't they have manuals, paper shortage?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Interestingly, checking the tire pressure is no longer on the pre-delivery checklist from Toyota that the techs use. I think that's why it's getting missed so often. If the tech doing the checklist is experienced, they know that cars from the Japanese factories need to have their tire pressures adjusted. But if they stuck the youngest tech in the shop on checklist duty, they would probably just follow the list blindly and not realize the tires were overinflated.

daisy555 likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fortunately, you don't need to return to the dealer to alleviate the problem, should you discover it at sometime after purchase

daisy555 likes this.
  14. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The fob needs to programmed into your car's CPU to work. Also don't forget to get the mechanical backup key cut, so you can open your doors, if your battery is dead. You won't be able to get to your jump-points; unless you call a car service to "jimmy" the door open.

Hope this helps....

If the dealership does send you a working fob, a second preprogrammed fob must already exist in your onboard computer and they simply cloned it. The mechanical key may be cut with your vin number alone - dealership only.

#14 BiomedO1, Jul 13, 2023
    daisy555 and GeoJ like this.
  15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m glad I asked this question. Thanks everyone!

Keep it coming if you think of anything else. : } I’ll have to let go of worrying about what they think of me when I come with my list. :)

The beautiful red Corolla Cross Hybrid that was sitting on the lot had a space in the front bumper and rear that was missing some plugs of some sort. You could see black styrofoam. : /

When I bought my preowned 2009 it had the window sticker, laminated cheat sheet and all manuals. Even the previous owners info still programmed into the navigation. : / Still there because the outdated navigation drove me nuts!

2009 Prius window sticker states $23,375 plus package #6 $6,350 = $30,713 plus delivery of $720 minus an extra value package MSRP discount of $1800 = Total $28,913.

I’m still confused why Gen 2 is rated city 48 mpg/ high way 45mpg and Gen 5 AWD is rated city 49 mpg/ highway 50. Was there a technical change that is making highway miles more fuel efficient than city miles now?

#15 daisy555, Jul 13, 2023
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Might be differences in the way mpg is officially calculated. Over the years, after owner complaints of disappointing mpg, they've tried to make the tests more realistic. Too, they all are conducted with ethanol free gas, which is near impossible to fine, and pricey.

17. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The reason I was asking is partially because the Corolla Cross Hybrid states 42 mpg combined. 45 city and 38 highway. Must be the lack of aerodynamics that causes such low gas mileage on the highway. Can you all feel my agony through the computer. I really like the comfort of the Corolla Cross Hybrid but want the higher gas mileage. It actually looks nicer in silver than I expected which is adding to my turmoil. : } IMG_6097.jpeg

#17 daisy555, Jul 13, 2023
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a beautiful car. put plug on it and i'm in!

daisy555 likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it’s missing a spare? Why is there always something. Maybe cus I’m really attached to our cream puff ‘10.

I may need therapy…

7 step program to wean yourself from new car fixation.

HacksawMark and daisy555 like this.
  20. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep…I might need to double up on my therapy when it’s time to test drive the Prius. Comfort over mpg turmoil.

Mendel Leisk likes this.