1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Preceding 6 Months Warmest on Record

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Suburban600, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Suburban600

Suburban600 New Member

Just heard on the radio that the preceding 6 months were the warmest on record. All states in the lower 48 reported warmer than normal. I believe they said the temperature was 3 degrees warmer than any previous 6 month average. Don't know where to look to verify but sure seemed warm to me!

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

"Researchers Say Increasing Wildfires May Be Result of Global Warming"

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5122134&nav=menu113_2

I read one article interviewing a, I think, chief firefighter... he said the fires were the worst he has ever seen them.

Alone, it is not enough to say global warming is the cause. But taken into a global context (even just North America) and what is going around the world, this is a very legtimate suspicion.

http://www.climatehotmap.org/

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Global Warming?

Ha!

You guys are full of yourself!

So it's hot, [cough] it is always hot in the summer.

You no good hippy non working [gasp]... Prius driving smug [huff, pant, gasp cough] jerks.

There is no such thing as [huff, huff] Global.....Global.....[cough]...Global Warming.

Hey, what happened to the lights? No.........AC.....It's Hot!

Just mother nature...[gasp]...where is all this water coming from?

You guys are nuts. [Huff, huff, huff] I have to....[pant]... get to higher ground....Flood water too hot....[gasp]

Hope I have [huff] enough...[cough]...fuel in my Hummer... Blub.

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I don't mean to brag about Chicagoland again... but I gotta...

We set an all time record for energy consumption today....

It was a super hot day... 96 + high humidity and we all had our AC cranked to the "meat locker" setting.

I think we can top the record tomorrow or Monday, it's supposed to be even hotter then.

Whooooohoooo... We are wasting more energy in Chicagoland than all of Africa consumes in a single day. Sweet!!

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 15 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]287009[/snapback]</div>

Hey if you could just all open your doors and window and let some of that AC out we could cool the planet!

6. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Global warming and environmental protection aren't something that "hippies" believe in:

"Green America: Why Environmentalism is Hot"
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13768213/site/newsweek/

Eh, seems like I have lost my sense of humor with all this fighting some 10k miles away. Need to remember to not focus on what is out of my locus of control.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As much as I like the heat and look forward to having waterfront property, this would be a good time to invent some solar powered refrigeration to use as air conditioning.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, it's gotten drastically hotter in the last 3 summers. oh wait, i moved way south a couple years ago. i have no concept of the extent of high temperature anymore, it's so damn hot down here it all feels the same.

i gotta move back north...

9. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Suburban600 @ Jul 15 2006, 09:34 PM) [snapback]286978[/snapback]</div>
    This is BS. In Connecticut, we had one of the coolest Springs on record.

10. tanteb & rgrpick

tanteb & rgrpick New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 16 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]287173[/snapback]</div>

We've been having August weather here in Cental GA since about mid April

I don't even want to see what August will be like here , gonna head to the NW & sit in the rain.......ahhhhh
    Please don't say there is a drought there also.

11. Mirza

Mirza New Member

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...160378/-1/State

And quoting for irony:

12. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jul 18 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]288181[/snapback]</div>
    And thank you for taking a fragment of my quote entirely out of context.

My reply was directly to the statement "All states in the lower 48 reported warmer than normal.", a statement which is directly disproven by the the very article you posted a link to. The fact is that not ALL states experenced higher temperatures. Only a certain few states experienced significantly higher than average temperatures which threw the overall average higher than past averages.

13. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Understood. Please accept my apology.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya not all states are warmer (as the Pacific Northwest [average summer temps 78º] moves into a 3 day stretch with temps estimated to be 95º+) so watch those statements of yours...

15. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jul 15 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]286988[/snapback]</div>
    Here in the middle of England, northern Europe, this month is said to be the hottest July on record. There are official bans on the use of hose pipes to water gardens and wash cars as there has been little or no rain for weeks. Max temperatures in my yard have exceeded 31C (90+ F.) on most days this week.

I'm very impressed with a/c in the Prius. It cools the car well within a couple of minutes of starting.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After a wet spring and early summer, the heat is here, too. Local temperatures are forecast to be 35+ C. Despite living on the 'wet coast' in a rainforest, we've had watering restrictions for many years, and a summer drought is now considered the norm. This may also be a record year for crop failures and forest fires.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yesterdays high 101º.... since records were kept, Olympia, WA averages one day over 100º every 3 years or so. but since 1995 there have been 14 days over 100 and 5 in the past 2 years... average high temps for this area is 79º

global warming??? its a myth (said with EXTREME sarcasm)

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah... freaking hot up north too. I wonder how the Okanagan is coping.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's pretty hot in So. Cal too.

BTW I heard on the radio that cows give less milk when they're hot. Milk production is down 5%. So far not enough to effect store prices. He also said we won't see any price increases in the store unless the weather stays hotter than 100 degrees for over 10 days. I have no idea where the "cows" he was referring to are. I missed the very beginning and didn't stay in the car to hear the end of the program.