1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Precious Line F66 Wheels for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Concept_Hybrid, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Concept_Hybrid

Concept_Hybrid MPG GOD

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have been talking to Steven over at VIP Autosalon and was thinking of buying some new wheels from them for my prius. I have learned that the wheels are Direct Swap with OEM, so tires, valve stems, etc. are completely interchangeable. So i think ill use my oem tires i have now on my new set of wheels.

Steven told me that the OEM wheels are 16.31 lbs each and these are 10.58 lbs so you get better mpg from a lighter wheel, and more style, so it pays for itself in the long run while giving me a nice looking wheel. They are also Forged Monoblock Wheels using the same process to make them as highend companies like HRE and IForged. Personally i love the style and convenience, but i would like to know what my fellow prius-ians think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They look good, and I like the weight. I guess those are 15"s in the pic? The big question: how much are they?

3. Concept_Hybrid

Concept_Hybrid MPG GOD

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [FONT=&quot]What i was told was it is $620 each for the 16x6 and $585 each for the 15x6, which is not too bad for a Forged Monoblock Wheel, which makes it ultra lightweight and super strong. I just put in my order for them today. [/FONT]

4. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Very nice wheels. Weight savings would have to factor in if I ever replace the OEM wheels. I figure I'm going to keep the OEMs on mine for a year or two. Heck, I've only had the car for a week!

First mods will be tint, vent visors, cruise control and relocating the iPod cable.

Most Prii around here are pretty plain.

5. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Pricey! But those sure are pretty and light!

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, $620 - that's even more than the Eco Drives. I could honestly care less about the fuel savings, I'm far more interested in the performance benefits from running lighter wheels. Per Colin Chapman: "Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." [wikiquote.org]

I agree with Fray about most priuses here being stock, but then the car isn't exactly the easiest to modify and most people don't go past getting some floormats and seat covers.

7. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those look hot and are super light. Check Gram Lights. You will pay for a 10lb wheel.

8. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, $620 x 4 and then $150+ x 4 for new better tires.....that's $3k of investment to look cool.

9. nickfromny

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is the going rate to lower unsprung weight on a car. The lighter you make the 4 cornors (unsprung weight is weight before shocks effect it) of your car, the better it performs. 6lbs x 4 is 24 lbs which is big in unsprung weight.

10. Concept_Hybrid

Concept_Hybrid MPG GOD

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not buying new tires, you can use your OEM ones its a direct swap. Plus when it comes to modding my theory on it is buy the good stuff, and buy exactly what you want the first time. For me the set has style, performance and MPG ratings. and of course, they make the car look cool :p

11. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius is just like any other car with respect to modification: you want to play, you gotta pay (in money and effort).

12. nickfromny

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lighter wheels (=lighter unsprung weight) improve cornering, acceleration, road contact, & much better BRAKING.

13. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great look! Have you confirmed the TPMS will work with these wheels?

Also, if you are looking for a "buy right, buy once" expense, why not consider the 16" wheels? Perhaps the weight savings in the new wheels will compensate for the added drag from wider tires. In any event, the handling and stability is likely to improve.

14. Concept_Hybrid

Concept_Hybrid MPG GOD

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Very well said. Alot of people don't have pride in their cars anymore and are buying junky products because its available and cheap. My philosophy is do the right thing the first time otherwise you will regret it later and end up spending more money.

Yup, thats my big inspiration to get these wheels, especially on some of the really short onramps in LA, it gets kinda scary trying merge in heavy traffic :eek:

TPMS will work, all you have to do is remove it from your OEM wheels and put them on these, and I am getting the 16's they come with 2 options 15's and 16's. Just as you said im counting on having better stability and cornering with the 16's especially if i get a smaller side wall later on.

15. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I really never want to see a Prius littered with APC parts - at least nobody puts streetglow on.

16. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why not get the tire you want at the time you get the 16s? You'll need different tires anyway -- and you'll have to have a lower profile tire just to keep close to the same revs per mile.

17. Concept_Hybrid

Concept_Hybrid MPG GOD

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My tires are still good right now so for now im just going to use my OEM, but when they burn out ill probably pick up some sticker and lower profile tires. What kind of tires are you guys running and how do you like them?

18. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow! That is some serious cash to save a few pounds. Do lighter wheels weight make that much difference? I just bought a set of brand new Scion TC stock alloys & tires for only $500- from Craigslist (215 45 17's). Of course these wheels aren't exactly light but shouldn't they handle as well as these pricey smaller 16's? I'll be putting them on in the next few days- can't wait to take off the 185 inertubes.

19. Concept_Hybrid

Concept_Hybrid MPG GOD

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is like Day and Night Sir. How are the TC wheels, do they feel better than your OEM or Worse? Im sure the style factor is awesome though!

20. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No doubt. And we all want to play the Gas-Saving game, thus we're getting the Prius (and pay for the so-called Hybrid-Premium).

Buying lighter wheels will certainly improve the handling, but saving on MPG from the unsprung weight? This really remains to be seen.... :D