1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Precise power control of an electric motor -- driving up a ramp for oil change

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Nov 13, 2008.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This post is for soon-to-be or wannabe Prius newbies... for those DIYers that change their own oil. This video demonstrates how easy for a Prius to drive up a ramp. The torque and power precision control of the electric motor shows the superiority without loud noise (gas engine) and chemical odor (exhaust).

This precision control also make the bumper-to-bumper traffic a breeze to drive. If you have been behind a Prius in the traffic congestion and notice how rare you see the brake lights, this is why!

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3175183213517953777&hl=en]Prius: Precise control while driving up a ramp (using electric motor)[/ame]

Video Description Text:

This video demonstrate how easy a Prius can drive up a ramp to do an oil change. It highlights the torque response / control of the electric motor. You will notice that the gas engine is not running.

In the video, you would hear two different sounds. The first rattling sound is from the brake hydraulic pump. The pump kicked in as I step on the brake to put the Prius in D gear.

The second high pitch sound is actually from the inverter, not the electric motor. The inverter converts the direct current from the HV battery pack into alternate current for the electric motor to operate.

The electric motor makes 295 lbs-ft torque @ 0 RPM. However, the computer controls this massive torque and makes it a very smooth acceleration.

2. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not going to lie. that was the most exciting video I've ever seen. ;) Just kidding. I have the same ramps and will be pulling them out this weekend as I now have 250 miles until my next oil change.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done a hundred oil changes on my cars and motos, but on this new car, I'ma let Toyota handle it.

Kudos to you DIYers.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pity, Prius is a very easy car to change the oil and filter.

5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i bet he cheated by using either an ev switch or just starting the car and getting it on the ramp and turning it off within 7 seconds to engine start

or maybe re reversed the footage!

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nah, if the car is already warm, driving up the ramps without the ICE is not a problem. I just did the same last week when changing the oil. You can actually stop partway up the ramp if you want.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I used the EV button because I didn't want to waste gas to warm up the engine (and the oil) just to drive up the ramp and drain the oil. That in itself is a cool way to use the EV mode.

Dogfriend is right, I could've driven up the ramp without activating the EV mode.

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are supposed to warm the oil before draining, it flows better and will have more muck in suspension to run out rather than settled on internal horizontal surfaces.

10. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A quick google on Rhino Ramp came back with the incline angle of 17 degrees.

1 person likes this.