1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Premature assumption?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rxmxsh, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, right now, at 269 miles, I am averaging 42.5 miles per gallon. BUT I only have 3 pips left. What the? That doesn't seem right. My average has been lower in previous tanks, and I've still gotten close to my 400+/per tank. Since late November, I havn't topped 400 in a tank due to weather, but I should at least hit the hight 300's...

Am I prematurely assuming I won't hit the high 300's? It just doesn't seem right w/3 pips left.

PS - and I'm aware of the "guess" gauge, and the awful inaccuracy of the gauge, but this is the worst I've seen it so far...

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe the last fill up wasn't as full as the others? (i.e. the pump shut off earlier than usual)

3. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought about that, but I did fill it (the guess gauage read full). And according to my spreadsheet the amount of fuel it took was inline...

4. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For some reason, my bladder(my prius's that is) keeps getting smaller. Last summer, I was able to fill with over 10 gal. consistently. Ever since October, the amount at the fill up has decreased steadily. This last fill up, I was only able to get in 8.8 gal.

You may be experiencing the same phenomenon.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it shrinks as the temp drops and expands as the temp rises.

6. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The colder it gets, the less flexible the bladder is and the less fuel you will get into it.

7. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know the feeling, but its often not as bad as you think. Each pip runs ~1 gal for me, so if true for you 3 pips = 42.5*3 = 127.5 mi. You may still hit mid to high 300s. I really believe its not so much that the gas gauge is inaccurate, but that the d@mn tank keeps changing size/shape and the computer is always trying to figure out how big it actually is! I generally find my top and bottom pips last a little longer, and the middle ones seem to drop off pretty quick but in general its pretty reproducible. I have had the same "middle of the tank" blues a couple of times, only to have the last couple of pips stretch out and the tank ends up being about what it should be.

rob

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only important thing that the guess gage shows you is when you really should pull over and fill up again. I have had that first pip last for over 100 miles, and I have had it go away in 20 miles. Filled at the same pump at the same temperature during the same season. Frustrating, but you get used to it. Especially if you don't drive much. ;)