1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Premium for Red?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by lhschafer, Jan 29, 2011.

1. lhschafer

lhschafer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm considering selling my 2010 Barcelona Prius II because I ended up with an extra Prii do to family circumstance. (Also have a 2007 that is really my fav.) Very few red 2010s come up when I search the different sales websites. Is there a premium on red for used car? Also, any thoughts on how well a slightly used (11K miles) 2010 will sell? Can get brand new for not much more, but I may give it a try. Thanks for any input from anyone in the know on the used car market.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I only know of an extra charge for the Blizzard Pearl paint on the 2010/2011. I don't think Barcelona Red would warrant extra money.

1 person likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither me too.

If it's in showroom condition, KBB says you can get up to $21K for your G3.
    Good luck on that though, cause cars.com says you can get a new one for 22 and change, even in the PRC...BUT (comma) then there's TTL to consider.

Hope you get the price that you're looking for!!

Good luck!

PS...KBB didn't give me the option to specify a color. :D

4. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For me, Barcelona Red would be worth at least a few hundred bucks. It's the absolute best looking color for the Prius.

5. Ted in Olympia

Ted in Olympia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My bet is that you will get about $19,500 for the car. They are already giving $1,000 rebates on the new Prius and when you find the 2010 they really deal. It's just a lot easier for people to walk into a dealer and buy one than to purchased one from a private party.

TED

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only because Salsa Red was discontinued. Otherwise Barcelona Red would be the second best color for the Prius. :p

[​IMG]

7. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gosh, three Prius and just now posting on PriusChat? Oh well, welcome and congrats on another fabulous Prius. No premium for Barcelona Red, even though it's the best, riches color that just so happens to match the Cleveland Indians team red.

I'd sell the 2007 and keep the 2010 unless it's a finance issue.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What you need to do is check - kbb.com , nadaguides.com (sp?) and edmunds.com to compare the private sale amount, or trade-in for your car's condition. Mine was supposed to sell for 'mid to high 18k' and I got $18.5k. Know your approx. trade in value and don't let a private buyer try to get it anywhere near that (someone offered $16.5k tops on mine, said thanks, but, no).

You can also do a spreadsheet listing the miles and asking prices for same year/model of car. Average those miles and asking prices to compare to your car.

I would suggest pricing it very close to what you really want to get and not more than about $500 over the minimum price you will take.

One other thing, detail the car to the max, make it look pristine, and have your maintenance receipts in order.

Be careful who you put behind the wheel to test drive your car with you in it, look at their license and don't let them drive into super busy areas. Accidents can happen.

Some have heard gas may skyrocket to $5/gal next Summer, so Prius' are selling.

If you're going to roll over and trade in, well, that's what you'll be doing ... rolling over for you know what ... some dealers like to brag about how cheap they got a trade in.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As Cycledrum pointed out KBB and Edmunds are good references for pricing. Compare different colors for cars equipped exactly like yours.

Keep in mind, Prius values usually go up when fuel prices go up. With the current troubles in the Middle East we could see high gas prices this spring and summer.

10. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yup, i would wait to see if gas prices go up further....

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The AAA price around here for a new 2010 II is $21907 not including the $1000 incentive that expires today. Asking a premium & getting some to pay it are two different things.

12. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
    "Beauty is only skin deep."

What color a buyer wants, and what they will settle for,
    are wholly personal choices/problems.

For some it's "arrest me" red, no way Jose.
    White, the safest color
    Metalic light silver, the coolest internal temps-wise
    Black, the coolest (sickest) outside color to some

I can't see asking a premium for red, even though I wouldn't
    have it any other way than Barcelona red. :rockon: