1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prepaid Maint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mandargb, Jan 14, 2007.

1. mandargb

mandargb Junior Member

Hi
    I purchased prepaid maint when I bought my '06 Package 6. in sunnyvale, CA.
    At the time I was told the prepaid maint package covers for oil changes and scheduled manit, upto 55 000 miles.
    (I specifically asked the dealer agent lady who did the purchase papers signing with me.)
    For this reason they did not put the "termination date" on my purchase contract for this item. This is what was explained to me by the dealer lady at that time.
    Now I receive the maint coupons in mail (I turn in one at each service), that says the expiration is 4 years from date of purchase with a 2010 date.
    Is it some thing anybody has experienced.

I am wondering how Toyota can do such a blunder (or did my dealer messed up)
    Because the pain is now I have some talking to do with Toyota and my dealer and make sure I get what I paid for.
    BTW It took a long time for Toyota to send these coupons to me (Six months after purchase.) I followed up with my dealer 4 or 5 times in that time. Finally I showed up for service without the details and that is the time dealer made some phone calls and got the stuff done for me. (I am very thankful to them for that).

Anybody with experience on this prepaid-maint package will help.

2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    IMO the prepaid maintenace plan is not worth it, but if you REALLY want it you can get it through this site cheaper than what you paid at your dealer (probably).

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It took a while for my coupons to come too. It was closer to 3 months than 6 though. I just used my last coupon (55k), and I'm glad to be done with it. The only problem is, I'm still paying for it because it was rolled into the loan. I didn't do my research before I bought it, so I can't blame anyone but myself. Although, the dealer did tell me I had to purchase it at the time I purchased the car, which isn't true. Oh well. I'm done with it now.

4. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just wanted your opinions on why it isn't worth it? From the first charge for the 5,000 mile service of $139, I would think after 10 of them (up to 50,000 miles) the last one would be free -- assuming you plan to keep the car that long (we do). Any other hassles or downsides to the prepaid maintenance plan that I don't know about?

5. toad

toad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Jan 15 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]375904[/snapback]</div>
    We just bought our 2007 Prius with the prepaid maint in late December and I love the car; I'm not so sure about the prepaid maint . I didn't do my research either and now I regret buying the prepaid maint. It looked like a good deal and it still does if you figure all the charges, but only by a little. The dealer also told us it had to be purchased at the same time. I wonder if there is anything that can be done about the dealer lying about when we had to buy the plan.

I hope it doesn't take 6 months to get our coupon and I hope it lasts longer then 4 years. My wife and I just moved to downtown, within 1 mile of work, so we don't drive a lot. I don't think I will be able to drive 55,000 miles within 4 years. When I get my coupons, I'll let you know what they say. If they have to be used within 4 years, I'll be asking for a refund. I might go ahead and ask for the refund anyway...

6. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stomsf @ Jan 15 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]376015[/snapback]</div>
    Since the 5,000-mile check is basically just an oil change and tire rotation, I don't see how it could come to $139. Heck, they don't even have to inspect anything under the car until 15,000 unless you drive in the desert or on dirt roads! For rotation and balancing of tires, I went to Discount Tire when I first bought my car and paid them $10 per tire for their rotation/balance plan. I was able to go in every 5,000 miles and have them service the tires for free. If you don't have Discount/America's tire in your area, surely you have a Wal-Mart or a Goodyear dealer who would do the same thing.

Any competent mechanic or DIYer can do an oil change--if you didn't have an independent mechanic you trusted for your previous car(s), they get recommendations from friends or co-workers. I used to take my Camry to Wal-Mart for oil changes, but I stayed away from places like Jiffy Lube. If you want to go to synthetic oil, the cheapest way to do that is to buy your own oil and take it with you to your oil change. Wherever you take it should give you a discount off of the original price of the oil change. You can also buy oil filters in the Toyota parts department and give it to your independent mechanic for a further discount.

If you still want to go to a dealer for your maintenance, definitely get your tires done elsewhere. Take your maintenance book to the service desk and ask them how much it would cost to do just what's listed for the conditions you drive in. I'd think that in itself should be cheaper than the coupons you bought.

7. toad

toad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toad @ Jan 15 2007, 04:48 PM) [snapback]376021[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I just looked at the "application" and it says under the terms, 4 years 55,000 miles. I think I'll be asking for a refund. Wish me luck having to deal with the manager.

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Extended warranties may make some sense, but prepaid maintenance makes absolutely no sense to me. It must be big business for the dealer, though, given the little maintenance needed by 55,000 miles. Someone mentioned in another thread potentially expensive maintenance due at 60,000 miles... could this explain why prepaid maintenance ends at 55,000 miles?

9. mandargb

mandargb Junior Member

I think the problem is not the prepaid maint package.
    But the wasy it is MISREPRESENTED.
    My dealer told me that it is only mileage restricted and not time restricted. (Which I asked again and again to confirm.)
    On that the lady told me that that is the reason they are not putting any expiration date on that item in the purchase agreement.
    I talked to Toyota (maint plan customer service) and they said they cannot do anything about the "misrepresentation". But they might honor the coupons in the 5th year. (Basically you are at their mercy).
    I don't understand how come such a world class company lets its dealer misrepresent themselves.

Actually this looks like not only a good business for the dealer, but also, I am thinking a big fraud.
    Because if they say that it expires in 4 years then you wont pay as much money in the first place.
    It has happened to me one fellow Toyota owner who bought about 6 or 8 months ago.
    I called up dealer for their customer service this morning and yet have to hear from them.

10. toad

toad New Member

Well, I asked for a refund and it was a real pain...

First of all, Toyota wanted to prorate my refund. The thing is, I haven't even gotten the coupons and have never used any of the services. How can they prorate my refund for something that I've never used?

Second, the dealer wouldn't give me the sale tax back. Tax on $975 (how much I paid) is a lot of money!

I called Toyota and insisted that I get the entire refund. They agreed they would give me the refund as long as I sent in the cancellation letter before 30 days.

I then called my dealer and insisted they give be my tax back. This was the hard part. The guy that sold it to me was a total jerk. He said there was no way I would get my tax back and that was that. After I kept calling him back he told be the only one that can do that was the general manager. The GM didn't want to give me the tax refund back either but I insisted and told him how I was pressured to buy the prepaid maint. After much insisting, he said he would have to give me the tax from his own expense account.

I would like to warn everyone to not get pressured to buying this. If it's a good deal for you, then get it. But, don't be pressured since you can buy it at anytime up until 6000 miles (according to Toyota). I think it's total fraud that they mislead you by not telling you about the 4 years and pressure you to buy it that day.

And, btw, even though the coupons expire in 4 years, Toyota said they would honor them until 5 years but I would ask for that in writing.

11. amyphoto

amyphoto New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toad @ Jan 15 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]376021[/snapback]</div>

you have 30 days to cancel