1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prepaid Maintenance 5y/75K for $1355... Edmonds says $3150 for 5 years?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by axelator, Nov 28, 2013.

1. axelator

axelator New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just paid $1355 for prepaid through 5yr/75k. The dealer showed me a list of prices for included minor and major services and also pointed me to the TCO at Edmonds (can't post link!) which lists 5-year maintenance costs at $3150. So that looks a pretty good deal assuming I'll have my Prius serviced at Toyota and don't want to mess around myself? Other posts here seem to suggest that this is a rip off and that the minor/major maintenance prices are inflated. Unfortunately I didn't get a copy of the list of services they used to convince me. I am not even sure I know what I bought but since I can cancel anytime I thought what the hell. I haven't even been able to find out what is covered and what is not. Are parts all included (e.g. brake pads). What if discs need replacing?
    Thanks for comments advice

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can get your money back...
    Take a moment and read what's included, vs what's not(it's available), then read again, the program is a laugh, save your money, get an optima yellow top battery, sit back and enjoy.

Also spend some time reading about various conversations about the warranty and the optima, welcome to pc;)

Lot's of info, take your time, cancel the extended, you can buy it back here for 1/2-1/3rd the money before 36,000 if you want.

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would take my money back, I believe this is what they only replace

10k, oil and oil filters, tire rotation, and do inspections, thats it
    15k oil and oil filter, cabin air filter, and tire rotation.
    30k oil and oil filter, engine and cabin air filters, and tire rotation.
    45k is same as 15k
    then 60k is same as 30k, even though its minor or major, they don't do anything special, they might just ad additives in there but its not necessary. They even might clean the throttle body, who knows.
    then 75k is same as 15k.

If you add up all those maintenance, it doesn't cost over 1k if you do them yourself, at most, I would calculate is around 300-400, most of it is labor that they're adding.

They don't include brake pads or any other vehicle parts that cause wear and tear. This is what I'm going off of when I was working at Toyota.

The only thing good about that prepaid maintenance is that if you have vehicle problems, lets say, TSB or vehicle malfunction, they'll accept your vehicle without hesitation because you've been bringing your vehicle for them to service and they have all your service record indication that it wasn't your fault. That's the only reason I see. But other than that, Toyota Prius doesn't break often. I've put in 40k on the Prius IV 2012 and its still running great. I do my regular 10k oil and oil filter change, and 30k engine and cabin air filter replacement, also tranny drain and refill. Nothing special needed yet. Brake pads last till 100k or so from what I was told by one of my friend who works at the dealer as a shop foremen.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    RIPOFF ALERT!!!:eek: