1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prepaid maintenance and warranty thru warranty shack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kcrocker, Jun 19, 2007.

1. kcrocker

kcrocker New Member

are folks happy with these guys? i'd like to hear some responses from people who actually purchased through them on this site. i have a *great* quote, but i'm a little leary as warranty shack application, resulted in reply from factorydiscountwarranty.com and follow up from a toyota dealer...

if there is another thread on same topic please let me know. sorry if this is a well travelled dupe.

thanks.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Saxman @ Jun 19 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]464687[/snapback]</div>
    There is plenty of feedback on this thread:

Discounted Extended Warranty

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The warranty you get here is sold by Troy (through a Massachusetts Toyota dealership), and it is a genuine Toyota Platinum warranty. He's great to work with, and it's hard to beat the price! You have until the original 3-year/36,000-mile (whichever comes first) warranty is up to purchase an extended warranty. There are also different year/mileage combinations depending on how you drive. The 7/100,000 is $990, and I got a 6/100,000 for $875. You can also get 7/75,000 and others, but I don't know the pricing on those.

4. moshe1436

moshe1436 Bought used.

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two

5. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, it's still a good deal, but don't use the price here to browbeat your dealer. If they offer the warranty, just ask what their very best price is. If it's more than here, then simply decline to purchase it through them. Don't say you can get it cheaper through PriusChat or through a dealer that works online--just decline to pay the dealer price if it's more than you want.

6. moshe1436

moshe1436 Bought used.

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jun 23 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]466862[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I understand the implications of using this good deal to "bargain" with the dealer. I will simply decline as I don't want to ruin this great opportunity offered here. Thanks!
    Mo

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Moshe,

You have until the expiration of the original warranty to purchase the extended warranty.

If you are anxious to hear back from Troy ASAP you can contact him at:

Troy Dietrich
    Toyota of Greenfield
    (413) 772-0231
    (413) 772-0989 (My Direct Line)
    [email protected]

8. moshe1436

moshe1436 Bought used.

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two

9. kcrocker

kcrocker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moshe @ Jun 23 2007, 09:38 AM) [snapback]466864[/snapback]</div>
    i'll come back to the thread with my decision/resolution since i kinda re-opened this one.

i purchased, at a higher price than i should both the prepaid maint and extended warranty from the dealer. i knew i had at least 30 days to cancel, i was buying at a "fleet" rate on the prius thru my employer, and assumed the follow on packages were fairly priced. i then checked with some other local dealers on maintenance costs and determined the prepaid warranty they sold me was overpriced. based on some other competitive quotes, including troys, the extended warranty was also overpriced.

i called the biz manager to cancel the contracts, told them they were overpriced and that i would buy from another dealer. they asked me what it would take to keep my business, and met the prices i had been quoted without asking for any verification. simple as that. went to the dealer and they cut me a check for the difference.

so, without browbeating them you may be able to just ask for the price you want and get it. if not, shop around.

you should familiarize yourself with the scheduled maintenance costs and do the math on what the extended warranty is costing you per year beyond three years and if you are comfortable self insuring for that rate.

emjoy your new prius.

10. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just wanted to throw some info in the ring - we picked up our Prius saturday and although we paid cash, we still had to sit with "finance" department - you know, the place where they try to entice you into all the extra crap instead of just giving you a receipt for the car. Anyway, if you can believe it, they said the MSRP for the extended warranty was over $4000 and that they were doing me a hell of a favor in offering me the special "fleet" price of $2000. We just laughed.

If these guys worked in a supermarket, would they jack the price of a gallon of milk to $20 and tell you it was a great deal?

11. moshe1436

moshe1436 Bought used.

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All!

Well, we picked up our new baby today. From what I've experienced from the few miles driven today I'm going to love this car. Seaside Pearl and it's beautiful!

An interesting thing about the warranty stuff. The "finance manager" put all the figures together and never once mentioned the extended warranty! Now, probably he should have by all rights, but I was delighted that I didn't have to argue with him as to why I didn't want it! So I'll be contacting Troy one of these days to set it up through him.

Thanks for all your input on this topic. At this point I'm all set on my decision.

One thing that came up in the volume of paperwork was the use of "after market" parts in the Prius and by using them I would be jeapordizing my warranty with Toyota. I'm wondering how you feel about this and if putting the stiffener plate that TB Tech offers will void my warranty? I suppose I should ask this question on another thread/topic. Any comments from anyone?

Thanks again,

Mo