1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prepaid Maintenance package.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vinay, Aug 25, 2010.

1. vinay

vinay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought a new Prius 3 + Nav package last week on Tuesday. And joined this forum today. This is my first car. I have no idea about maintenance, especially the 15k, 30k etc.
    Two year maintenance came free with the car. And I bought the 3rd year and 4th year prepaid maintenance package for $440 from my dealer? I saw other posts recommending to cancel this prepaid maintenance; since oil changes and tire rotations for 2 years cost much less than $450. But the toyota sales rep told me that 30k mile service costs $1500 each so I'm getting a superb deal.

I'm really confused. Could someone please reply?

Thanks in advance!

2. marduk

marduk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't recall the exact list of what needs to be done @ 30k, but $1500 sounds very very high.

You can always call up the service department (at multiple dealers if wish) and ask for a quote on a 30K mile service, and also details of what needs to be serviced.

1 person likes this.
  3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How many miles do you drive per year?

My sense is the 1500 is just pie in the sky.

You have a maintenance guide in the glove box, right?
    5M: rotate tires
    10M: Engine oil and filter
    15M: Clean cabin air filter
    30M: Replace engine air filter and cabin air filter. Inspect transaxle fluid.
    100M: Replace engine and inverter coolant
    120M Replace spark plugs

Anyone with all their fingers can clean and replace filters, so you are looking at oil changes and tire rotations.

By the way, we love our III NAV. Good choice.

1 person likes this.
  4. vinay

vinay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I drive like 5-6k miles / year.

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would cancel the prepaid (even if I didn't do my own tire rotations and oil changes). Four years x 6K = 24k. You are literally talking about replacing a couple of air filters and maybe changing the transaxle fluid which is just a drain and fill. Buy the fluid from the dealer and either have them change the fluid or take the fluid to a shop you trust. You get 4 oil changes (every 12 months), 4 or 5 rotations (8 by time, but time seems less relavant to rotations). My guess is that the air filters may not even be dirty after 4 years, but if in doubt, change 'em out.

And that's all 4 years, which your 440 only added years 3 and 4. Not horrible, but just not a level that I would buy.

You should not neglect visual inspection of boots and so forth, but that is something you or a shop can do, too. There are great threads here on such inspections with lots of pictures.

1 person likes this.
  6. vinay

vinay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I will surely cancel the extended prepaid maint package.

7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hate scumbag dealers that play these games. I would not go back to this dealer. I would also post the name of the dealer so others stay away from them.

8. bigbee

bigbee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The package may include other items, such as extended roadside assistance (as did the one that I was offered). It's possible that this is either a good deal or at least a better deal than you have concluded.

9. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was told there was "major" maintenance to be done in the 3rd year that would cost $450.00. I looked through the manual so that I could try to figure out what that was, but couldn't figure it out.

My manual says you get the following at the 30,000 mile maintenance:

Check installation of driver's floor mat.
    Clean cabin air filter.
    Inspect and adjust all fluid levels.
    Replace engine air filter.
    Replace engine oil and oil filter.
    Rotate tires.
    And inspect a bunch of things, but I assume that means you will have to pay for any replacement/repair.

Personally, doesn't sound like $450 worth of work.

I sent the dealership an email to get some better information. To date, they have always returned my emails, so I expect an answer. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear back from them. I'm supposed to answer a survey about how I was treated by the dealership. I haven't done that yet, so I'm sure I'll still be getting good service.

Dumb Mike

1 person likes this.
  10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many dealerships add items to the service list that Toyota doesn't require. The $450 job most likely includes some dealer extra services.

You can bet serious money that if you buy the Toyota service package all the dealer will do for each service coupon is what's on Toyota's list, not his inflated $450 list. In fact, expect a hard upsell if you take you car in for a 30k with a service coupon.

It's sounds like a scam on a scam. They are trying to sell you a service policy so you will avoid paying for services that the service policy doesn't cover.:eek:

1 person likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is no relationship between 'years' and 'miles'. everyone is different. unless you drive so very little that you take an extra long time to reach required mileage service. at 5000 miles per year, you may want to get some independent advise here on how often to change the engine oil. tire rotation and filters are purely mileage.

a good site for dealer service pricing comparison is copelandtoyota.com . they offer standard toyota service as well as their own 'recommended' additional service. some are a bit questionable, but at least they offer the choice and price breakdown. and it's all specific to prius and model year.:)

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree on some being questionable, and I like they way they actually list what they do.:rockon:

I wish more dealers were like that.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, what up with the injection cleaning?:confused:

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's actually a wallet cleaning, but they figured they wouldn't get many takers if they called it that.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it just hit me, this is a brilliant marketing ploy. put everything out there, srvices and prices for all to see. what are many people going to think? if they are honest enough to put it out there, the injection cleaning must be worthwhile. if you look at their service/price vs toyota recommendation, they're cleaning up! ( no pun intended):)

16. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm starting to question the value of the service package. I'm kinda curious if there will be "extra services" at the 30,000 maintenance. If so, then maybe it's worth it. Again, what was listed didn't sound like it was worth the money. I'll report back when I hear more from the service department.

Dumb Mike

17. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Toyota Guy is full of crap. He'll say whatever. Cancel the prepaid you paid for. Keep the free 2-year.

5k Service: Tire Rotation. FREE
    10k Service: Tire Rotation/Oil Change: FREE
    15k Service: Tire Rotation: FREE
    20k Service: Tire Rotation/Oil Change: FREE
    25k Service: Tire Rotation: FREE
    30k Service: Tire Rotation ($20)/Oil Change ($50)/Air Filter Replacements ($60 DIY)
    Next intervals are the same until you get to 100,000 miles.
    100,000 Miles: Replace Inverter/Engine Coolants ($150)
    120,000 Miles: Replace Spark Plugs ($200)

The Prius is pretty light on maintenance.

1 person likes this.
  18. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I was told the below is the "major" service they do at 30,000 miles.

Check installation of driver's floor mat.
    Clean cabin air filter.
    Inspect and adjust all fluid levels.
    Replace engine air filter.
    Replace engine oil and oil filter.
    Rotate tires.
    And inspect a bunch of things, but I assume that means you will have to pay for any replacement/repair. See your manual for the stuff they check (but not repair).

I'll let you decide what's the value of the service.

Dumb Mike

19. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I Already covered the 30k service and told you what you should pay: air filter replacements, oil change, tire rotation. Do you really want to pay them extra to "inspect" a bunch of things?? You're just paying them to "find" something wrong with the car. I wouldn't pay extra $50 to check my floor mats or things like that. The stuff in the manual that they're supposed to check is part of the complimentary inspection they give you when you change oil.

Like i said, those "15k, 30k, 60k" services are a bunch of scams. They charge you extra $$$ to do useless things. My dad paid $800 for "90k service" which was nothing more than oil change, air filter change, injection service which involves a $20 bottle of fuel cleaner, parking brake adjustment, tire rotation, and about 200pt inspection. Oh and some pH test for the coolant and top off all vital fluids which i doubt they did. You tell me, is that worth $800? Because that's how much dealers charge for their "major" service, when if you follow strictly the manual, you'll pay quite less.

1 person likes this.
  20. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The glaring omission here is transaxle fluid. No clear Toyota recommendation, but I've seen something like 90K, then every 60K. Some start much sooner. Otherwise, I agree with your list.