1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prepaid maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by singingtiger, Mar 26, 2006.

1. singingtiger

singingtiger New Member

Question regarding the Toyota prepaid maintenance plan.

I purchased both the extended warranty and the prepaid maintenance plan from Troy a year ago. I am coming up on my 15000 mile service. I prefer NOT to pay a Toyota dealer for the non maintenance schedule extras but all area dealers say they will only do the extras, not the minimum.

So can the 15,000 mile service prepaid be done by independent shops OR must the work be done only at a Toyota dealer??

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you paid toyota. the shop you go to can't be expected to do the work for free because you paid another company in advance to do the job. you could pay the shop to do the job, sure, but then there's no aspect of the "prepaid" in there anywhere, you're just getting your car serviced.

3. erictooley

erictooley New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(singingtiger @ Mar 26 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]230715[/snapback]</div>
    As I understand it, when a dealer accepts a maintenance coupon, they send it to Toyota for reimbursement. The amount is less than the "retail" price of the service. I'd be surprised if Toyota had reimbursement arrangements for independent repair shops.

Just tell your dealer that you'll be paying with the coupon and that they will not receive any additional payment from you for additional services. If they perform a service that you didn't ask for, there's no reason for you to pay.

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(singingtiger @ Mar 26 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]230715[/snapback]</div>
    I think a call into Toyota's customer service line is in order if this is the line you are getting from all dealers. Let Toyota's CS hotline clarify how you can get the full value out of your prepaid service coupons. You have a maintenance book and it specifies what needs to be done to the car at service intervals. Your prepaid service should cover those maintenance items.

With your service booklet in hand, and your prepaid coupon, you put those on the counter when the service writer puts your workorder together and you let him know how the deal is going to happen. If they balk, you walk.

5. iPracticeYoga

iPracticeYoga Y Yoga Movie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Prepaid maintenance program

So does anyone have an opinion on whether the prepaid maintenance program is a good value or not?
    :)

6. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Generally, no, especially if you include it in the car's financing as you're paying interest on it.

7. footprintx

footprintx New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Prepaid maintenance program

it's totally not a good deal. even at Troy's price. shoot, half the stuff on the minor and major services don't even apply on a Prius.

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ive turned in 6 pre paid maintenance coupons so far to different toyota dealerships
    and only once at maybe 15k or was it 20k did they print an invoice that listed replace
    cabin air filter. i made them cross it out fearing toyota might reject it

i haven't had any problems with any toyota dealers wanting to do anything with the car
    that was not covered with the coupon yet except that one time

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a good deal. You're paying interest on work not yet performed and/or locking yourself into a subset of places to do the work.

10. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i knew i had time to shop around on the extended warranty, i did not
    know about troy when i purchased the prius, found the deal here
    after i purchased the car, but at the time i did not know the time limit
    on the prepaid maintenance so i added it.

it works out to 113.67 per oil change, heh

if you buy the prepaid plan from troy then its about $72 per oil change?

which is a good deal because the average price a toyota dealer willl charge for an oil change plus rotation plus
    21 point "free" inspection is $100