1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Presentism

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Feb 21, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Today i was watching the "Today Show" and they were talking about "Presentism" that is the phenomena when someone who is sick, still goes to work because they either dont have sick leave or are afraid of losing their job.

studies now show that employers are farther ahead to have sick employees stay home instead of coming to work and spreading the diease.

BUT

some statistics;

several people who use the sick time they have earned usually get fired. case in point, a lady working in the software development industry had 9 sick days and was fired after using 4 of them.

86% of all food service workers dont have sick day benefits at all!!

these are people who serve and prepare our food... very very scary thought!!

p.s... i did not call in sick today... this is comp time for me...just so you all know...

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm guilty of not taking much vacation time, but I'm actually changing that. I'm fortunate in that I don't get sick very often. Or perhaps even more lucky to be a carrier for all known diseases.

I would like to think that if someone were terminated solely on the basis of taking their company-given sick days (in all validity), they would have a "wrongful termination" claim. However, if they are taking sick days to go catch a Cubs game, I can't really agree with that. If they do it four out of four times with the possibility of five more, I really can't agree with that.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well jobs that grant sick days are usually ones that pay fairly well and most end up selling back sick days (at least i used to)

but food service workers by and large are paid poorly and many cannot afford to take days off without pay making them more likely to "work through the sickness"

that is what im concerned about. i really dont care about wrongful termination suits since there is nearly always more to it than meets the eye. just because a case got national attention doesnt mean it wasnt slanted to suit the needs of the subject matter.

but 86%?? cant fake that much